Help identifying K's wagon kit...

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

clive0r
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Help identifying K's wagon kit...

Post by clive0r »

a Web search hasn't turned up any possibilities. It's a K's kit because it has a "K's" mark as part of the casting (on the inside of a side). The castings are fairly fine so the finished item won't be a massive lump of white-metal to move around.

I've spent 30mins trying to insert an image so a text description instead: 5-plank open with rounded ends and provision for a sheet rail. Two castings of a Scotch-style brake lever and 'steel' - not 'wooden' - brake shoe (assuming they were included with the kit - no instructions or packaging came with the parts).

thanks in advance
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Help identifying K's wagon kit...

Post by Hatfield Shed »

I think that was described as 'Tarpaulin Wagon' and (rather dubiously to my thinking) claimed to be based on a Southern prototype. So i didn't buy it but instead entered upon the world of pain that was their GW bulk grain, LMS shock absorbing open and LNER 24T hopper.

Don't worry about lack of instructions. If there ever were some they wouldn't include the information you really need:

The axle locations are not necessarily spaced at the same wheelbase either side, nor are they positioned so that with the wagon body assembled all square the axles will lie true, either or both of in plane or end elevation. (We really don't give a toss, you can sort it out.)

We have used the highest quality putty metal for the casting, and even if you think it is relatively light, the axleboxes will slowly spread if pinpoint wheelsets are used. (See, we don't care a bit, in fact we laugh out loud everytime someone buys our product.)

Somehow these didn't succeed in putting me off the hobby, and I still have an example each of shock absorbing and the hybrid kit 12T end door mineral running. (But way outnumbered by vastly superior contemporary 3H, ABS, Ian Kirk, and Ratio kit builds)

These kits melt nicely to make bespoke cast ballast weights...
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Re: Help identifying K's wagon kit...

Post by Woodcock29 »

I reckon this is what I picked up secondhand for a song a while ago - I plan on rebuilding it one day when I run out of other projects.

Andrew