Bachmann Branchline 35-200 Class V2 2-6-2 4791 in LNER green

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Bachmann Branchline 35-200 Class V2 2-6-2 4791 in LNER green

Post by Kestrel »

I had an e-mail from Hatton's this morning saying:

"This is to notify you that the above item that you have on order has had its price confirmed by the manufacturer.

"Bachmann have confirmed that the Recommended Retail price for this item is £219.95, resulting in an new sales price of £186.96. Due to the terms of supply to all retailers by Bachmann therefore we will unable to provide this item at our estimated price however we can confirm that the new sales price is the lowest this item can be sold to you by any retailer."

Time to press the 'cancel' button me thinks.
52D sub shed
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Re: Bachmann Branchline 35-200 Class V2 2-6-2 4791 in LNER green

Post by 52D sub shed »

Cor blimey, that is an eye watering price!! :shock:
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Would the lowest possible price be the one that only applies until it becomes obvious that too many are in stock and are not selling?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Quicksilver95
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Quicksilver95 »

Well there's a model that I can strike off my list to buy. I understand that models are getting more expensive to produce and don't mind paying a little more, but when Hornby are producing models like the (by all accounts excellent) Lord Nelson class (presumably of a similar level of complexity) for an rrp of £170 (Hatton's is £153), then there really is very little excuse. As for the insisting on retailers do not discount beyond a certain percentage, surely that should be a matter of prerogative - they will make less profit on a loco sold cheaper after all. I wish all the best for Bachmann in their current supply difficulties, just don't think pushing the problems onto the customers and retailers is the answer.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Bachmann have been pushing the bubble for quite a long time. Using delays as a poor attempt at a smokescreen is quite sad. I feel sorry for anyone trying to sell anything of theirs in the future/now.

I have never seen a Green V2 listed ?? only a Black version.

I don't think I will be :shock: :shock:
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Two or three years past now there was information that Bachmann UK had to increase their profitability for comparable product to the levels of other Kader operations . Prices can only go one way...

Can Bachmann make a goer of this, against a background of increasing competition?
davidwest
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by davidwest »

They've got to be kidding. Well they won't sell many.
Paul_sterling

Post by Paul_sterling »

I fear price rises like these might only be the start.

I sympathise with Bachmann and Hornby, as their chosen manufacturers' country has for some time now been one of rapid growth and changing labour costs, and their only choice beyond trying for a cheaper piece part cost, is to dump that additional cost onto the customer.

But.... at the same time, I have often found the waiting times between announcing, and receiving Bachmann models to be frustratingly long. I think i've been waiting getting on for 4 or 5 years for the 24/1, and it is still only indicated as being late 2019.
exile
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by exile »

I have to agree that this is the way prices for detailed (as in lots of added detail) models is going to go. I am already paying 350€ a shot for French H0 Pacifics. Lovely models and lots of applied detail, but prices to make you wince.

As for the delay in Bachmann deliveries: that is their model (pun intended). Announce early, then start the preliminary work, then do the CADs, mould cutting, EPs, Painted examples etc. It is very frustrating, but it arguably avoids duplication because once announced the competition will tend to stay clear unless they already have an advanced project. On the other hand many other companies only announce at the EP or later stage and there lies the risks of duplication if others are also well advanced with the same project. The problem is that by EP stage so much money has been invested that it is often better to carry on with a reduced sales potential, than to pull out.
Quicksilver95
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Quicksilver95 »

It makes one wonder - as labour prices go up, whether any of the manufacturers (perhaps one of the smaller newcomers initially) might turn their thoughts to more innovative solutions. For example we've seen on this forum alone the excellent results 3D printing can achieve. This technology gets more accurate, smaller, cheaper and faster in a time period that can be measured in years rather than decades - and shows no sign of slowing down any time soon. I understand that there is issues in terms of speed of output, but there has to be a point where the increasing cost of labour, added to the cost of shipping and the all-so expensive tooling exceeds that of the decreasing cost of 3D printing, which presumably could be just as cheaply located here as overseas. Just a thought.
nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

I'll have to keep an eye out for an email from Rails, I assume they will also have to amend their price.
Without knowing what the model is going to be like, it's a difficult decision to keep it on pre-order. The price is now approaching that of a new Roco BR012 for example. The Roco model has the motor in the tender driving a local gearbox as well as a prop shaft to the loco driving wheels, making a 12 wheel drive mechanism, they run and pull like nothing that B or H make. If Bachman step up to these kind of features and improve their build quality then the V2 will be worth the extra money, but I'm not overly hopeful that we'll be getting anything like that.
The other possible outcome is that a load of people cancel their pre-orders and B might pull the pin due to lack of demand.(no winner in that scenario)
It doesn't seem all that long ago when the £100 barrier was a step too far and I still think very seriously before purchasing RTR stuff over that price.

Cheers
Paul
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

How does all this fit in with the free market and the laws that prohibit the fixing of retail prices by the manufacturer/importer/wholesaler? Setting a limit to discount is the same thing as setting a minimum retail price. Laudable as any claim that price maintenance protects smaller local retailers may be, by law, does it not have to be each retailer who decides the selling price, free to sell at a loss should he so choose, without threats from higher up in the chain?
Or is this another example of our corrupt, puppet-government masters allowing large international firms to do as they like while we small-fry in the UK have to follow the rules?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
exile
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by exile »

That pricing rule does not apply to distributors. I don't know the situation but if Bachmann are calling their trade customers "distributors" then they are within the rules.
The other possible get out of jail free card is that the discount level is set for a short period of time (6 weeks?) and it can be argued that this does not distort the market because of the short time period.
Whatever, I am sure that the Hornby/Bachmann legal eagles will be well aware of competition law and will be sure that they are keeping within it. Failure to do so can bring a 10% of annual turnover fine.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

I feel somewhat relieved that I bought up a number of Graeme's V2 bodyshells to put onto the newer V2 chassis when the opportunity rose.

davidwest

Post by davidwest »

S.A.C. Martin wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:28 pm I feel somewhat relieved that I bought up a number of Graeme's V2 bodyshells to put onto the newer V2 chassis when the opportunity rose.

Agreed!