Currently active show layouts - STRICTLY LNER PRE-1948 & constituents, NOT BR.

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Currently active show layouts - STRICTLY LNER PRE-1948 & constituents, NOT BR.

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

If those with knowledge would care to post details from time to time, it might be of great interest to those of us who model the genuine LNER scene rather than the "everybody models it" 50s/60s period, to know which, if any LNER and constituent pre-group company layouts are due to appear at exhibitions around the country in say the next six to twelve months following the date of any posted information. There seem to be precious few actively doing the rounds at present, so it would be a pity to miss the good ones simply through lack of knowledge.

To set the ball rolling, I can mention that Grantham the Streamliner Years is booked for Spalding November 2019 and Southampton late-Jan 2020.

More please......

Just to add / repeat emphasis, will any who want to talk about post 1948 layouts PLEASE do so in another thread, so that this one retains clarity and its intended purpose.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Currently active show layouts - STRICTLY LNER PRE-1948 & constituents, NOT BR.

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I have no idea whether this year's BRM show at Doncaster, an LNER heartand location of major significance, has ANY representation at all of the LNER proper, because unless one has encyclopaedic knowledge of all model railway layouts, and infallible powers of instant recall given only the layout name, then the organisers' failure to post information on the period and region/location for each layout leaves the potential show visitor totally in the dark. I find such deficient show information provided by a major organisation particularly irritating and suggestive in my opinion of a "can't be bothered" attitude and/or of a (more probable still) view that "any train set will do" as a public attraction. I could trawl the internet to try to find out about each layout, but if the organisers can't be bothered, then neither can I - I won't be going.

As far as the "prestigious" York show at Easter goes, again in an important LNER location, there is at least a little in the way of true LNER period modelling, with Dunston Harbour (Northumberland) in OO and Helmthwaite & Chapel Lane (West Riding) in O gauge.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Currently active show layouts - STRICTLY LNER PRE-1948 & constituents, NOT BR.

Post by JASd17 »

Graeme,

I will be there, at Doncaster, with the LNER Society stand on the Saturday. Looking, briefly, at some of the layouts listed I cannot see an original LNER-era offering.

So it is an opportunity to buy a few bits and have a chat - not much LNER modelling inspiration.

John
Last edited by JASd17 on Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Asenby St. Peter, thoroughly LNER and firmly East Anglian, will be at the 50th Milton Keynes model railway show on Feb 16th/17th.

Probably a bit far from Grimburg, but other readers may live in closer proximity.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Thank you. I don't mind WHERE the shows are, as the idea of this thread is to inform ALL who may be interested in modelling of the actual LNER, rather than anything later.

Albert Hill
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Albert Hill »

What constitutes a period LNER layout, Dunston Harbour features a lovely harbour scene and attracts the crowds but the railway operation uses proprietary generic LNER equipment, including a J 50, the station building is atypical of NE coastal stations, well worth viewing but ruling out for example the superb ex LNER renditions on view at Railex NE last august which highlight far more LNER heritage seems perverse.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

As the LNER ceased as an independent railway owning / operating company at the end of 1947, it should be quite clear to most that "true LNER", "pure LNER" or "LNER proper" can only apply fully to the time before 1948. Without such exclusivity, it would be all too easy given current modelling fashions for the intended LNER show layout information in a topic such as this to be swamped/obscured by news of post-LNER 50s/60s layouts.

Perverse??? As suggested at the outset, those who wish to start and / or cultivate a separate topic about show layouts depicting former LNER locations in later periods are free to do so. There is nothing at all perverse about keeping one selected topic, i.e. this one, clearly reserved for information about expected appearances of show layouts (of varying standards) that depict the LNER and its constituents (in real or plausible imaginary locations) before any loss of identity under BR.

Please confine further posts in this topic to those giving or seeking information about layouts in the defined category, and their forthcoming show dates.

Tim Watson
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Tim Watson »

Copenhagen Fields will be at Basingstoke, March 9-10th and Fareham 5-6th October 2019.

Tim
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Thanks Tim.

GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by 2006 »

The excellent Trinity Dock Street Bridge layout, based on the Town Docks area of Hull in Feb 1939 is listed to attend the following shows.
"Some of these are subject to confirmation but the list is as below."
February 16/17, Syston, Leicestershire.
March 2 March, Cambs.
April 6/7 Highley, Severn Valley Railway open house weekend, Shropshire.
August 24th Roade, Near Northampton.
September 21/22, Swansea.
October 19th, Shrewsbury.
November 2nd, Wyrail 19, High Wycombe.
March 8th. Wombourne.
September 19/20, Fleetwood."
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Noted. Interesting........but no layout of that specific name apparent on checking the Syston club's own exhibition web page today. Can the layout's appearance be confirmed?

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

No confirmation of Trinity Dock Street Bridge at Syston then?

Geoff Tiffany's developing, pre-group GNR layout Dewsbury is, I gather, listed for Scalefour North in Wakefield, 6th/7th April 2019. I do not know how much progress has been made since I saw this layout a couple of years ago, but it seemed destined to be highly impressive - and it is no mere "compact" end-to-end shunting plank. Well worth a visit I think.

JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Scalefour North.

I haven't seen Dewsbury for a while either, Geoff is a top modeller.

The LNER Society will be there, not sure when I will be just yet.

Richard Whitehouse will be demonstrating LNER carriage building, the twins models are always worth a look.

Many folks come along to this show, not just P4 devotees.

John
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by 2006 »

No updates on the Trinity Dock Street Bridge Facebook page since February 4th, however on the 9th this was posted in the FB LNER Modellers group "Anyone in the east Midlands, or western side of East Anglia, my layout Trinity Dock Street Bridge will be at Syston MRC's show at Sileby, 16/17th Feb, And March MRC's on March 2nd."
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Thanks - that lends some weight to it anyway.