Copenhagen Fields & TFW’s workshop

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Copenhagen Fields & TFW’s workshop

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Re, the stainless steel trim, in the patches used for giving up smoking, these are attached to very shiny silver foil, and is reasonably thick, these are about 50mm square.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Tim Watson
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Tim Watson »

Thanks Manna. I should be getting the NS etches for the rest of the train in a few weeks. I might use transfer techniques for the beaver tail.
Meanwhile the brick frontage of the potato warehouse has been roughed in with a bit of colour. 
I’ll probably make a start on the frontage of the cart road tomorrow.  It’s all going to look very busy. 
​​​​​​​
Tim
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

Quite a day for pondering how to make the cart road rooves. Some sort of jig would be needed for assembly to support the ‘I’ beams and position them in the wall sockets. The tapered and jiggled front doesn’t help either. 
It will all be jolly close to the retaining wall, but that is how it was. I think I have worked out how it will all be assembled.

Tim
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

A super little package arrived this morning from Tom Everitt. 
These columns are really very fine indeed and one can be seen supporting the beam at the north end of the canopy with the construction jig nearby. 
They will very likely be converted into a very strong metal alloy.  Meanwhile, the roof beam jig has been further refined and will be very useful for setting out and assembling the structure. The front face is currently simply resting on the beams so is a bit wonky. 
The first roof gutter can be seen in grey Plastruct. I am awaiting suitable solvent to make these integral with the roof beams at each end and then I can make a start on the glazing.  The half sectioned end of the roof, which is at the very limit of the scene, will be supported by a stout piece of Perspex which will also provide a window into the cart road -a similar concept to the clear covers on the tube station building.

Tim
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

loving your work Tim, the attention to detail is superb sir...

Pete
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

The Potato Market cart road canopies have been making steady progress. The assembly jig has been invaluable.  The gutters and beams are supported by the jig to allow the glazing to be made and fitted.
The glazing has been made from a polyester sheet, with partial slate coverage on the York Road side.
There is currently no means of front support other than a piece of styrene propping up the construction at the front. Pip isn’t fussed either way...
The main colours have been blocked in, but there is no weathering as yet.  A recent addition is the pavement that was along the frontage. 
The view under the canopy roof will be available to the operator, but scarcely the public. In this view, the precarious support  for the structure can be seen as the beams are not correctly fitted onto their pads and sockets in the walls. It will, of course, have Tom E’s excellent columns supporting the roof, but they have yet to be cast in metal. At the very end, there will be a substantial sheet of Perspex which will both support the roof and provide a window into this scene. The slightly foggy glass in the roof will obscure some of the detail from the public side, whilst the roof supporting iron work will be simplified, as it is very fine. A recent colour image has shown that the lintels were not in a red brick, so those will need to be changed. 
Just for good measure, here is the prototype again. 
The name boards are in hand.

Tim
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

The potato market cart road now has a solidly fixed cantilevered roof, albeit awaiting the front cast iron columns to come back from the foundry. 
Painting and weathering are also proceeding, but not quite there yet. 
A few advertising hoardings on the railings will add a splash of colour, as will the merchant’s names on the market. 

Tim
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Fantastic work Tim Watson ! - Those internal views ....
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

The 5mm thick protective Perspex screen has now been fitted to the end of the cart road. It is held in place by a couple of blackened 12BA screws, so can easily be removed for photographic purposes. 
The tapped holes in the Perspex were rather conspicuous, so I ran some grey paint in the hole. They look a bit like protective bollards or, in the case of the nearer one, three bollards because of the refraction on the polished end of the sheet.  It’s all a good deal sturdier, which is a relief, and essential for an exhibition layout like CF. 

Incidentally, the layout is having its own very special exhibition at Keen House on July 10-11th. 
https://www.themodelrailwayclub.org/pro ... ur-events/
It will be jolly hard work, but hopefully people will enjoy the opportunity to really get to know the layout.

Tim
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

The beaver tail observation car has made some progress, courtesy of Mike Trice & a very skilled colleague at a certain tall building in London.  The negative shape of the glazing was 3D printed by Mike and then the lump polished to a fine finish. 
These were then set up under a vacuum forming machine running with 0.5mm clear sheet. 
There were a few pressed, allowing for errors.  Trimming out of the sheet was simply with a pair of scissors.
The final shaping was with a file and then carefully removing any ‘wire edge’ with a scalpel blade. 
The end result shows it resting in place, but with the central window bar still present. That will be removed and replaced with a separate metal trim, whence the fit should improve.  
I think this trial fit is pretty effective and I doubt that alternative techniques would achieve the complex shape any better. It will be even better in 4mm scale, because the plastic thickness will be more favourable; either way, ‘good enough for government work’, as they say. There should be some etches arriving fairly soon from Worsley Works, but heavens knows when the train will get built!

Tim
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Looks very good.

This is not a criticism, but to what extent can machine technology be allowed to assist before claims that models are hand-built cease to be credible?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Not sure what you mean Graeme?. All kits come from moulds, are machine made etc .

Nice Observation car.
Danby Wiske

Post by Danby Wiske »

But by that token, all RTR models are "hand-built"!

It's an interesting question...
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

I think there will actually be quite a lot of hand work to make this train complete: I could not - would not - claim it as scratch built because Mike did the heavy lifting with the CAD and printing, Allen Doherty will do the etch design for the rest of the train. Making the vac formed window was achievable, with the right equipment and a skilful colleague, but trimming & fitting it was not trivially easy. So it goes on...

I like making things ‘by hand’. However, expediency these days means that I will
happily use any techniques that improve the final product. It is also great to work with different people on joint projects, which has been the drive for improvement behind CF for many years.

Tim
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Amazing stuff Tim.

No Graeme don't go there.............................