Copenhagen Fields & TFW’s workshop

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Tim Watson
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: Copenhagen Fields & TFW’s workshop

Post by Tim Watson »

ATSO (Steve) has a set of etches to produce an N gauge version of the B3.

Tim
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

This is a view of my alternative workbench currently based in deepest Cornwall. I have started on the core for York Road tube station on CF. I like to make buildings with an internal strong structure with the outer walls not needing to be over scale thickness. Image
The placeholder model is in the background. The construction methods will certainly be different from the previous one I made 35 years ago!

Tim
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

I recently retrieved the cardboard placeholder model of York Road tube station from Keen House, prior to going on holiday in Cornwall. 
This has enabled me to make a good start on the definitive building: which is approximately 35 years since I made the original Cally station. I always like to use a substantial core for my buildings, in this case producing something like a modern concrete building structure. 
In comparison with its completely hand made predecessor, the new tube station is using the latest in technologies for its construction, with 3D printed window and dental course mouldings courtesy of Richard Wilson with equally superb etched windows and fittings, courtesy of Jim Watt. 
The front walls are cut straightforwardly from styrene sheet, but there will still be quite a few subtle layers and motifs to add.
The interior will be tricky to model, 
as the righthand end is severely truncated in depth. It could actually be modelled with the shutters down - in closed condition (1932 onwards) - but that would be a bit of a shame. 
We are returning from Cornwall very shortly, but progress on the building should continue.
Tim
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Interiors in 2mm - splendid!
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

I'm waiting to see the moving escalators and lift with moving people in them. :D

As usual Tim your sub structures really do belie the finished work.

Paul
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

York Road tube station is making steady progress: there are many different detailing levels and frills on a Leslie Green-designed London Underground building.  The front walls are only loosely fitted at present, as there is a massive amount of work still needed on them.  The 3D printed details should come alive once they are sprayed with undercoat. 
Now the question for the knowledgable types is this: what is in the front room of the building under York Road   Station signage? I have enhanced a previous image to show what looks like a rack on the back wall and maybe a showcase close to the nearer window.
The only overall drawing I have of the station shows a narrow room and, regrettably, does not include a plan view.  
A sign inside the concourse points to a ticket office, which would be where the room is, but the security would be very poor for such a use. 
Over to you, for erudite suggestions. Whatever we decide upon, Jo Public will never see it, but the Up & Down Main Lines operator at the South end will. 

Tim
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

Problem solved by Nick Mitchell and Kevin (Sithlord) on the other site kindly turned up drawings.
At least I can now make it accurately.

Tim
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

The extra drawings have been really helpful in getting the front rooms more correct. 
The changes don’t look that much, but it makes the building much more plausible. I will probably draw up some artwork for the interiors, but I’m afraid that the urinals will not be modelled as the structure is sliced through by the front of the layout. 

Tim
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Tim Watson wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:31 pm York Road tube station is making steady progress:

.... Jo Public will never see it, but the Up & Down Main Lines operator at the South end will. 

Working lifts :?:
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

As it happens, the building is cut through by the baseboard edge so I am afraid the lifts and urinals will not be represented. Such a disappointment, I know, but life is full of compromises, even on CF...

Tim
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

The pilasters and entrance bits on the tube station are nearing completion, apart from some of the decorative motifs.  There are about fifty components involved with each opening as there are many layers involved: thank goodness for Evergreen strips. At the top of the pilaster there is a prominent ridge that raps around the sides. This was made by putting two stop cuts across the top of the pilaster and then using a very fine chisel to remove the material between. 
The chisel is literally razor sharp and comes from Japan. 
https://www.ebay.com/p/2134870965
They are eye wateringly expensive, especially the very small versions, but I have a colleague at Guys who can get them when he goes to Tokyo - still expensive though. 
With the trough made a little strip of styrene was inserted. 
The front walls are beginning to look a bit better now, but I had quite forgotten how much work was involved in making a tube station. It will be interesting to compare it with its older brother, when complete. 

Tim
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

All the fiddly bits are now complete, having been whittled and carved out of styrene.
The main frontage had some fill-in bits at the intersection of the arches. 
The two main flourishes over the entrance required setting in to the corners, so that the angled front sits correctly.
The porthole window surround was made from some strip, bent to shape with a few extra bits added and carved for the detailing. 
I will give the whole lot a puff of primer tomorrow, to see if there are areas that need much adjustment and filling. 

Tim
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Thank you for the scale rulers, which I assume are 1cm squares.
It is otherwise difficult to appreciate how small and precise your work is!
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

The excellence of the 3D prints from Richard Wilson really shows up now.  I think this might turn out better than the original,  but it will all depend on the painting.
​​​​​​​
Tim
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

The tube station has made quite a bit of progress over the last few days.
The heavily truncated exit opening has a challenging geometry, but I have a cunning plan for that.

Tim