Copenhagen Fields & TFW’s workshop

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Tim Watson
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: Copenhagen Fields & TFW’s workshop

Post by Tim Watson »

The building works continue. Rooves, rooves and more rooves. 
The front, long, warehouse has been extended southwards and a start has been made on the hipped rooves at the north end.  It will be good to get some slate sheets in place as working with black styrene is a bit depressing.  The complexity of the building is beginning to give a better impression of KX Goods; not accurate, but a bit more of the atmosphere perhaps. 

Tim
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

I think I can at last begin to see an end to the KX GY sheds (collective sigh all round), with the slating now mainly complete: this isn’t the most exciting bit of modelling....
It’s interesting to compare this view with a photo taken just under a year ago. The ramp has changed direction, of course, and the buildings reduced in height and increased in complexity. When Barry took this photo the YR tube was just a mock up, so is carefully cropped out of the view.  
(photo Barry Norman courtesy MRJ)
The skylights will soon need to be made for all these rooves and, there is a substantial ventilator clerestory of the large roof for most of its length. It will be good to start to get some paint on the buildings but best not to rush that because loads of details still need to be added.  I have improved my technique for slating the gently curved rooves as can be seen here - it should be self explanatory and much simpler than using individual pieces. 
It is so frustrating not being able to see all of this new work in the context of the whole layout. I suspect that the viewing public will be more equitably distributed down the front of the layout now, as there is now so much more to see at the southern end.

Tim
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

It is fascinating how adding one architectural feature suddenly ‘places’ the goods sheds as being based on KX. That feature is a ‘knee’ on each corner of the main, long, sheds. 
This part image is from ‘An Exceedingly Commodious Goods Station’ an archaeological survey by Haslam & Thompson.  A very useful book, if you are making a model of Kings Cross Goods Depot. 
On the model
And in the overall scene
I am very pleased with the effect these have. I wasn’t convinced that the atmosphere of the sheds was quite right for KX, it’s probably getting better now.

Tim
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

The Goods Sheds and Potato warehouses are now roughed in, but awaiting further detailing, weathering and the addition of further skylights and ventilators on the main building, nominally, the Eastern Transit shed. 
On the prototype, at the northern end there existed the “Kings Cross Goods Station Refreshment Club”, eventually quite a large building with facilities for all the staff in the GY. It is give a good deal of coverage in the definitive archaeological survey of the yard by Haslam & Thompson “An immense and exceedingly commodious goods station”.  The building grew from fairly modest beginnings, to the large structure visible in the middle of this aerial photo:
The Haslam book contains useful plans and survey drawings of the building remains, although I have not (yet) located any ground level photos of it.
Further posts will outline how it will be modelled on CF. It will usefully sit on the end of the Eastern Transit building and further serve to hide one of the goods through lines rather well.  The hut, visible in the following image, will be replaced by the new building. 
During the archaeological dig these cups were found: 
Does anyone think there might be a market for a modern-day reproduction?
Tim
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

After a bit of head scratching and some doodles for the ground plan the refreshment club is now beginning to take shape. I have found an image of the building but it is of the major extension made in the 1900s, which we will not have space for: useful for some architectural details though.
The windows came from printed sheets that I acquired years ago.  By using two per window it is possible to make a simple sash window. 
The stairs were made from the ever useful Evergreen strip and the side walls from 1mm scribed sheet.  It’s always useful to pre paint difficult-to-reach areas prior to assembly.
The window bars are very fine and so to make them stand out I scored them on the back to give them a bit more presence. This had the unintended effect of slightly distorting the glazing between different panes, but that is a really serendipitous finding because it prevents that rather ‘flat’ look that sheets of glazing can sometimes show. 
This arty image, sitting on the iPad, shows the side stairway on prototype and model - this gained access to the clerk’s mess rooms, which were on the first floor, guards and shunters used the ground floor entrance. The building will be well endowed with fireplaces: it was kept well heated because staff could become very cold, especially goods guards and shunters. There was a cosy toilet below the stairs.
The final image shows it held against the end of the, nominal, eastern transit shed.  
If you compare it against the vertical layout view in a previous post, it is evident that it should do a quite good job of hiding trains as they make a dash for the hole in the back scene.

Tim
Paul_sterling

Post by Paul_sterling »

Fantastic work Tim, really enjoying this one.

Paul.
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

excellent attention to detail Tim, a truly brilliant model layout.

Pete
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

The evolution of a building. Can you spot the differences?
Tim
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

The refreshment rooms are now complete, but the side stairway does rather make it look like a dodgy London maisonette conversion. 
I think it will look OK in context.  Knocking out buildings in three days makes me think it’s time to have a go at something else. 

Tim
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

More magnificent modelling!
I think it looked more interesting with the staircase open.
Perhaps you could have a glass(ie transparent) roof over them?

(Although it might have got rather dirty!)

My rate of progress is much slower than yours - still getting through a lot of scalpel blades though!
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

It could be a partial coverage glass roof, but the whole side structure is fairly insubstantial in the photo: it left no archaeological remains. I think a felt covered roof is more likely, and is intimated from the photo, that being my original interpretation. There is a large window on the landing, do it wouldn’t be too gloomy.

Tim
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

That’ll do for the time being: it’s a bit impressionistic, but then aren’t all models?
Tim
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

I thought there might be some interest in my technique for representing London building colours.
The first coat is Farrow & Ball ‘London Clay’ to give a dullish background, and ‘Downpipe’ for the slates.
The yellow brick colour is then added with a wash of ‘Afrika Corp Tan Yellow’.  More care was taken with the chimneys and window/door lintels painted in a red oxide colour (‘Picture Gallery Red’) and the chimney flaunching and the windowsills in ‘London Stone’. The sloping roof was given a wash with the Lifecolor ‘Roof Grey’. 
The brickwork was then darkened in places and given some richness using Lifecolor ‘Sleeper Grime’ mixed in situ with the tan yellow colour. some individual bricks were picked out with either colour and any dodgy brush-marked areas painted out.  White and ‘Weathered black’ were mixed and used for the lead flashing, whilst the sloping roof had further coats of ‘Roof grey’ mixed with Lifecolor ‘Weathered black’ and F&B ‘Downpipe’ - which was also re-applied on the main roof. 
The final weathering was achieved with some feint washes of ‘London Stone’ to ‘bring the whole lot together’ and, most importantly, the use of ‘Dunkel grun’ washes to darken areas with rain run-off and add mosses & lichens.
In the this close up photo, the potato warehouse roof furthest away has had a wash on its north face, the one nearest hasn’t  - the effect is very subtle, but it really brings the model to life. 
Finally, the thing that brings the layout to life is colourful advertisements, figures and vehicles. The advertisements help massively in this view: the wall and pavement have recently been weathered.
The use of bright red patches is an excellent way of drawing your eye into a scene.  

All of the colours are applied in washes, rather than discrete colour blocks, it is an impressionistic way of painting, rather than slavishly painting brick by brick: that is needed occasionally for decorative patterns, but I tend to favour letting the eye see what it thinks it sees. 
I hope these ramblings are of some help, I would strongly recommend that people give the dark green washes a try around areas that are north facing, damp i.e. near the ground, or where people rub. 

Tim
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

Interesting how things develop.  On another forum I noticed that Mike Trice had made a 3D print of the LNER Coronation beaver-tail observation car. I cheekily asked if it could be produced in 2mm scale. A little while later this package arrived. 
Mike has made a superb job of the design and although some parts of the components are quite fragile I think it ‘is a goer’ as a basis for a 2mm model. The window vents are very delicate, but will sustain support from the glazing. The finish is outstanding. An added bonus is the interior.
What is so topical is that the prototype, no. 1729, has just been unveiled after a lengthy restoration and features in an excellent article in the current issue of Steam Railway. 
There is now the minor issue of how to re-create the stainless steel trim on the beaver tail, but I have some ideas for that. The rest of the train will also now be needed: at least we have the Lonestar A4 to go on the front end!

Tim
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

Why have a simple building when you can make it complicated?  The cart road rooves are 1/2 staggered relative to the rooves behind. 
The front of the potato warehouses have been completely rebuilt to represent those in the photo. 
Will make for a much more interesting scene. 
​​​​​​​
Tim