Copenhagen Fields & TFW’s workshop

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Re: Copenhagen Fields & TFW’s workshop

Post by 45609 »

It’s a corker!
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Brilliant work.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

Brilliant
One of my favourite locos. I built my 4mm LNER version in 1992.
Andrew
PGBerrie
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by PGBerrie »

Hard to believe that this is 2mm!

Peter
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

That the paintwork is good kind of goes without saying, Ian's work is well known, but his status is enhanced by it being in
2mm and so legible.

I am certainly impressed by the way that the tender pops out under the covering of paint, and that particular
livery certainly makes the pair belie their scale.

Congrats Tim

Paul
Tim Watson
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Tim Watson »

Valour is coasting into Kings Cross having had a good run from Sheffield on the new Pullman service. Both driver and firemen can relax now, and the gauge glass shows the boiler well topped up. The driver is from ? Preiser (much modified); the fireman from Modelu - he was too big to fit in the cab. 
Obligatory thumbnail image

Tim
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

That fireman must be a big lad then. He won't even break into a sweat firing that engine - but he'll need a long shovel if he can't get near the firehole.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

He would fit in the cab, height wise OK, but I think that the problem with some of the Modelu figures is that they are printed to 1:148 which does make them slightly bigger than 1:152. They are also scans of modern individuals who are often a bit larger, certainly taller, than their grandparents would have been. The continental figures at 1:160 are easier to adapt into a cab.

Tim
Danby Wiske

Post by Danby Wiske »

I'm sure Alan would print them to a smaller scale if you asked nicely...
:D
kudu
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by kudu »

Fantastic detail! May I point out that the third lump of coal on the left doesn't look like it came from the Yorkshire coalfield. No doubt you will be rectifying this.

Happy New Year.

Kudu
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

It’s actually (say this quietly) coaled up with Welsh Dry Steam coal, from my big engine.

Tim
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

What can you say...a beautiful model.
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

It’s all beginning to look busy around the KX Goods Yard middle entrance, which has been completely rebuilt form its original design. After a bit of fettling, the pavement was laid on York Road, before placing the railings (lying loose on the road in this image), so avoiding having to make the slabs fit the back wall as well as the pavement edge. 
The ramp walling is now complete and whilst it’s not immediately obvious there is a significant narrowing towards the entrance. This will give a useful perspective effect when viewed from the front of the layout.
The public view from the south end has now become a whole lot more interesting, especially as the areas of black styrene will have multiple M roofs on them.
The eye is now drawn down into the yard. Problem is we’ll now need a whole load of horse drawn wagons and small lorries for the potato market. Some large colourful LNER hoardings on the railings would also help to draw the eye into the layout at this point. 

I really am looking forward to seeing all of this in place on the layout, but that won’t be for a little while I suspect.  At least the silver lining to the COVID cloud is that I have been able to work on this bit of layout far more intensively than our normal build timetable.

Tim

Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

The first part of the potato warehouses have now been sketched out.

The red brick M styrene will be mostly hidden by the canopies in front, but might be discernible through the glass, so best to put it in. The black styrene is the foundation layer for the roof, the final covering being Slaters slate styrene sanded almost flat. The clear sky lights will sit on top of the black styrene in cut outs within the slates. There are also some substantial chimney stacks to be made, emerging through these roofs, which will add a bit of character. 

Tim
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

The first part of the potato warehouses have now been sketched out.

The red brick M styrene will be mostly hidden by the canopies in front, but might be discernible through the glass, so best to put it in. The black styrene is the foundation layer for the roof, the final covering being Slaters slate styrene sanded almost flat. The clear sky lights will sit on top of the black styrene in cut outs within the slates. There are also some substantial chimney stacks to be made, emerging through these roofs, which will add a bit of character. 

Tim