LNER Q1/2 Build.

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Paul_sterling
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: LNER Q1/2 Build

Post by Paul_sterling »

manna wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:09 am G'Day Gents

Turned out to be and interesting build, does it run nice and slow !

manna
Thanks Manna,

Yes, running is as per the original chassis, slow and smooth. The extra weight and traction does mean it is a little more "direct", but "it'll pull a (OO Gauge) house down..............."

Paul.
Paul_sterling

Re: LNER Q1/2 Build.

Post by Paul_sterling »

Hi Folks,

This is the other project I have been making a little headway on.

ImageCAD draft 20190417 by Paul Sterling, on Flickr

LH&JC No.29
The CAD is devoid of perspective, so it might look a little off, but it shouldn't be too far out. I'll pay the NYMR a visit at some point in the near future to take dimensions.

As this was not an LNER engine, but is very NER in its styling, operated in the North East, and is preserved on an Ex-NER/LNER route, would I be okay to produce a thread on this too?

Paul.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

You could argue that it is highly relevant by virtue of being all-but the same kind of Kitson loco that DID become LNER property via the LDEC and via the H & B.

Shouldn't those top edges of the side tanks be definitely rounded, as a Kitson hallmark?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Paul_sterling

Post by Paul_sterling »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:35 pm You could argue that it is highly relevant by virtue of being all-but the same kind of Kitson loco that DID become LNER property via the LDEC and via the H & B.

Shouldn't those top edges of the side tanks be definitely rounded, as a Kitson hallmark?
Hi Graeme,

That's brilliant thank you.

Yes the tanks are to be radii'd, they should be, its just I always leave any radius-es till last on CAD, they are inherently unstable by their nature, and when added early in the process, can cause models to "fall over", which is why the transition curve on the Cab hasn't been modelled yet.

Cheers, Paul.
Paul_sterling

Post by Paul_sterling »

Paul_sterling wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:51 pm
Atlantic 3279 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:35 pm You could argue that it is highly relevant by virtue of being all-but the same kind of Kitson loco that DID become LNER property via the LDEC and via the H & B.

Hi Graeme,

That's brilliant thank you.

Yes the tanks are to be radii'd, they should be, its just I always leave any radius-es till last on CAD, they are inherently unstable by their nature, and when added early in the process, can cause models to "fall over", which is why the transition curve on the Cab hasn't been modelled yet.

Cheers, Paul.
Graeme has given me a useful reminder. No.29 has been preserved, so I should be able to glean info from it directly, but I had completely forgotten that No.29 was built by Kitson, and that opens up a lot more info (not to mention possibilities for models in the future based off the basic Kitson 0-6-2 loco)

https://www.lner.info/locos/N/n6.php

https://www.lner.info/locos/N/n11.php

Amongst others.

Paul.
Paul_sterling

Post by Paul_sterling »

Well I've wimped out and instead of making the smokebox number myself, I've ordered an etched one (along with other bits and bobs) from Narrow Planet, as well as an Etched nameplate for the engine. "Samson", seemed an appropriate name for a strong little engine, and is also the name of my Son.

In the meantime, I've given the paint time to harden, and now I am looking towards the application of the BR early crest transfer (No.69932 carried this one, though briefly was turned out with "BRITISH RAILWAYS" prior to that, as also lined Green in 1947 as well!)

I am completely new to water-slide transfers, and have no experience of it whatsoever, so if anyone has any advice. hints or tips for the process, I would be very grateful.

Thanks, Paul.
Paul_sterling

Post by Paul_sterling »

Hi Chaps,

In readiness for fitting the Locomotives transfers, and as per the guidance on Fox' leaflets, I sprayed the loco with a coat of gloss acryllic, with particular dedication to the areas where transfers would be applied, chiefly the side tank and bunker.

I've had problems with "blooming" in the past using the Hunbrol Acryllic varnish spray, and got around it by warming both loco and spray tin up, and did the same this time..........

unfortunately, I still got a tiny bit of blooming on both sides of the Cab, which is a pain, but after the transfers are fitted, I'll coat the loco with a matt varnish, and see if that goes any better.

Of course any guidance anyone can offer regarding varnishing, and applying transfers would be much appreciated.
Thanks, Paul.
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Daftish questions - did you use acrylic paints for the body colour, prior to varnishing? What sort of distance were you holding the can while spraying?
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
Paul_sterling

Post by Paul_sterling »

Manxman1831 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:00 pm Daftish questions - did you use acrylic paints for the body colour, prior to varnishing? What sort of distance were you holding the can while spraying?
Hi Manxman,

Yep, Acrylic for primer, paint and varnish.

usually around 12" (300mm) as advised on the tin.

Cheers, Paul.
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Fair enough, I did say they would be daftish questions.
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
Paul_sterling

Post by Paul_sterling »

Manxman1831 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 2:41 pm Fair enough, I did say they would be daftish questions.
Nothing daft about them, if you don't ask, you don't know. :)

Someone suggested to me a while back about making sure the spray tins were nicely warmed up, I did do that, perhaps the loco could have been warmed up a little more than the ambient (about 15 deg.), it certainly improved things when I sprayed 71000, but it still wasn't perfect. Maybe the air in my house is damper than preferable, but as we often find the rooms upstairs too dry, I doubt it.

Paul.
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

My own catastrophic experiences with spray varnishing have led me wholeheartedly back to brush varnishing, no matter how many coats.
Brian

Paul_sterling

Post by Paul_sterling »

Imagereceived_282600456011629 by Paul Sterling, on Flickr

I took a deep breath and gave it a go, following the Fox Transfers instructions. everything went well, its a bloody fiddly task, but looked well at the end. It doesn't look straight on the pics, but in reality it looks, or looked pretty good.

I just couldn't leave it alone could I........

I put the transfers on around 2pm today, went to do some work on the smallholding, then came back, and had a fiddle/rub of the transfers, promptly tearing the leg off of the first "9", idiot......

How long do these things normally take to cure?

Second thing is, does any have a recommended brand of acrylic varnish, as I've been told before the Humbrol is somewhat unpredictable.....

Paul.
kimballthurlow
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by kimballthurlow »

Hi Paul,
That is a quite clever, and very nicely done loco body.

Kimball
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I would try to advise on the transfers / varnish problem, but I've never used Fox and I always use enamels (or polyurethane masquerading as enamel?) rather than acrylics so I can't really help.

Anybody else?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.