LNER Q1/2 Build.

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: LNER Q1/2 Build.

Post by Atso »

The Q1 is certainly shaping up well.

For varnishing, I took Ian Rathbone's advice and tried Ronseal Polyurethane gloss varnish (the spirit version) mixed 50/50 with white spirit and sprayed through my airbrush for a sealing coat - it really does give a tough coat of varnish. After that, if I want a matt finish, I over spray using either Humbrol "enamel" or Revell acrylic matt varnish depending on my mood - I've not gotten the hang of adding a matting agent to Ronseal varnish yet... Alternatively, I've recently been experimenting with Martyn Welch's weathering techniques which are applied over a gloss surface and do give some very nice and interesting effects.

I've experienced no adverse effects spraying acrylic over enamel myself but I do always leave at least 72 hours for the underlying paint/varnish to fully harden before going over with another formula of paint.

Hope this helps.
Steve
Paul_sterling
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Paul_sterling »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 8:59 am I would try to advise on the transfers / varnish problem, but I've never used Fox and I always use enamels (or polyurethane masquerading as enamel?) rather than acrylics so I can't really help.

Anybody else?
Thanks Graeme,

I do have some humbrol Enamel varnishes as well, so that might be possible for the sealing coat. I know that i've seen some of the humbrol videos whereby they have enamel varnishes and acrylic paints, and vice versa, so it must be feasible, though I'm sure you can imagine my trepidation having reached this stage of the project for me to balls it up and have to backtrack.

Hopefully when I go to it tonight, the transfers have had the advised 24hours to cure, and they have some "grab", if not, I might have to make a rethink...........

Paul.
Paul_sterling

Post by Paul_sterling »

Atso wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 10:20 am The Q1 is certainly shaping up well.

For varnishing, I took Ian Rathbone's advice and tried Ronseal Polyurethane gloss varnish (the spirit version) mixed 50/50 with white spirit and sprayed through my airbrush for a sealing coat - it really does give a tough coat of varnish. After that, if I want a matt finish, I over spray using either Humbrol "enamel" or Revell acrylic matt varnish depending on my mood - I've not gotten the hang of adding a matting agent to Ronseal varnish yet... Alternatively, I've recently been experimenting with Martyn Welch's weathering techniques which are applied over a gloss surface and do give some very nice and interesting effects.

I've experienced no adverse effects spraying acrylic over enamel myself but I do always leave at least 72 hours for the underlying paint/varnish to fully harden before going over with another formula of paint.

Hope this helps.
Brilliant, most helpful Steve, thank you. I'll look into those brands and have a go on something innocuous first, maybe spray a wagon with the same paint, and try these products on top.

Cheers, Paul.
Paul_sterling

Post by Paul_sterling »

kimballthurlow wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:26 pm Hi Paul,
That is a quite clever, and very nicely done loco body.

Kimball
Thank you Kimball, very kind of you to say so.

Cheers, Paul.
Paul_sterling

Post by Paul_sterling »

photos from the recent work

ImageIMG_20190506_142720 by Paul Sterling, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20190507_222435 by Paul Sterling, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20190507_222506 by Paul Sterling, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20190507_222449 by Paul Sterling, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20190507_222457 by Paul Sterling, on Flickr

Image20190508_Q1_1[1] by Paul Sterling, on Flickr

Image20190508_Q1_2[1] by Paul Sterling, on Flickr

Image20190508_Q1_3[1] by Paul Sterling, on Flickr

Barring varnishing, smokebox number and nameplate, the Q1 is more or less finished.

Paul.
mossie
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by mossie »

Very nice indeed Paul.

That build has come out really well, you should be proud of that. I know I would be.
Paul_sterling

Post by Paul_sterling »

mossie wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 7:14 pm Very nice indeed Paul.

That build has come out really well, you should be proud of that. I know I would be.
Thank you Richard, very kind of you.

I know I've done some bits my way rather than the right way, but its come out more or less how i wanted it to, so that's a relief!
Last edited by Paul_sterling on Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paul_sterling

Post by Paul_sterling »

I've placed an order for some Railmatch spray varnish, Fox recommends this (or Phoenix precision) for coating over its transfers, so I'll chance it against the additional cost.

Paul.
Paul_sterling

Post by Paul_sterling »

While waiting for the new varnish, i thought I'd take a short video of the Q1 on the move.

https://youtu.be/ubHtEwhr_F4

Just a little run on the currently barren Goathland station, while everything is sheeted up for the living room work and repairs to the basement roof.

You might also spot a little tie-in, a couple of my original 3d printed 009 locos taking a ride on the bachmann well wagons.

Cheers.
Paul.
Paul_sterling

Post by Paul_sterling »

I'd just like to say that I absolutely HATE fitting transfers.

They go on okay-ish, but I'm having no end of bother getting them to stay on. It is (at this stage) entirely my own fault for trying to fit them to a Matt surface when Fox' instructions told me to use a gloss. I've coated the loco with Railmatch gloss now, so we'll see how it goes. the Emblems and one side numbers are fine, its just the first side which has refused to key. so now, I'm going through it exactly as the instructions.

Downside is, I've used up more numbers than I would have liked to, so may need to order more when I renumber the K1 and B1, and when it comes to the S1.

Rant over (Sorry!)

Cheers, Paul.
Paul_sterling

Post by Paul_sterling »

I regrouped after my last post, and purchased the recommended brand and type of varnish, gloss this time. The totems and the right hand side transfers were okay, it was just left side number which had failed. Despite this idiot mode kicked in, and I sprayed the whole engine with gloss, totally unnecessary.

Anyway, the new transfer went on last night, I personally thought the gloss made it more fiddly, but it looks okay. The engine will get a matt coat now to finish it off to the style I wanted.

Paul
Paul_sterling

Post by Paul_sterling »

Evening gents.

I applied a couple of coats of railmatch matt varnish this morning, quite happy with the outcome, but will check it when back home. All thats left now is final fitting and polishing of the buffers, paint the bufferbeams red, and thats this one done.

Irrespective of where it ranks compared to other projects, I'm really happy with this one, its my first build and it has achieved what I wanted, a convincing look of an LNER Q1, a class I've long hoped for a model of, and I hope the model of no.29 comes out as well.

There are two spare Q1 bodyshells if anyone is interested in a project like this?

Thanks. Paul.
feifeitim
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by feifeitim »

Really interesting read Paul - thank you for the time spent recording your build which was much appreciated by all, I’m sure. As mainly an aircraft modeller, my subjects tend to have far more decals than a locomotive. I and many of my fellow builders use Johnson’s Clear or Future, sprayed on top of the last coat of colour. This produces a highly gloss surface on which it is very easy to sit any decals. Once recalling is complete, a further coat of Clear seals them in and then weathering and matt coats can be applied over the top. This reduces the chances of decal ‘silvering” and produces a lovely finish - take a look at any of the Aircraft Modelling magazines. Would be honoured to relieve you of one of your Q1 bodies!
Paul_sterling

Post by Paul_sterling »

feifeitim wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:58 pm Really interesting read Paul - thank you for the time spent recording your build which was much appreciated by all, I’m sure. As mainly an aircraft modeller, my subjects tend to have far more decals than a locomotive. I and many of my fellow builders use Johnson’s Clear or Future, sprayed on top of the last coat of colour. This produces a highly gloss surface on which it is very easy to sit any decals. Once recalling is complete, a further coat of Clear seals them in and then weathering and matt coats can be applied over the top. This reduces the chances of decal ‘silvering” and produces a lovely finish - take a look at any of the Aircraft Modelling magazines. Would be honoured to relieve you of one of your Q1 bodies!
Thank you for your kind comments.

I'll keep the Johnsons products in mind, as I have a number of Locomotives to renumber, as well as another two forthcoming builds!

Please by all means send me a private message in regards to one of the Q1 shells.

Thanks, Paul.
Paul_sterling

Post by Paul_sterling »

I put some paint on the bufferbeams last night

ImageIMG_20190611_215710[1] by Paul Sterling, on Flickr

Not great, but my eyesight wasn't up to the job, and I didn't have a free standing magnifying glass (excuses, excuses)

ImageIMG_20190611_215721[1] by Paul Sterling, on Flickr

Behind the Q1, you can see a poorly looking Hornby Schools, Dulwich, this is to be renamed/renumbered to 926 "Repton".

Paul.