Old Model Railway Magazine Articles

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Old Model Railway Magazine Articles

Post by jwealleans »

I can't remember where I read it, but there was a story about Bert Spencer and another of Gresley's assistants getting ready to go back to London after the press beano and HNG came over to the loco to see what they were doing. He asked if they were attending the palatial lunch which they'd laid on for the gentlemen of the press and both said no, they'd rather have a ride on the Single. Gresley agreed and apparently seemed quite disappointed that he was expected to be at the press event. Both said the ride back was an absolutely exhilarating experience.
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Re: Old Model Railway Magazine Articles - V4

Post by 60526 »

Extract from Model Railway News May 1941
Railway Topics By J, N. MASKELYNE, A.I.Loco.E,

In these times it is gratifying to be able to announce the production of something new. The LNER have just completed the first examples of two new locomotive designs, one steam and one electric, and by courtesy of the company, I am able to illustrate the first of the new steam engines, No. 4301, Bantam Cock. At the time of writing two of these engines are in service, and others will probably follow quickly. The design is the direct result of the success obtained with the "Green Arrow" 2-6-2 mixed traffic type of engine. Bantam Cock is in fact a light version of the "Green Arrow" design, weighing with its tender 113 tons 3 cwt. as against the 145 tons 2 cwt. of the "Green Arrow" type of locomotive and tender.
The various methods adopted to effect this reduction in weight include the use of 2 per cent nickel steel for the boiler barrel, the extensive substitution of fabricated construction in the case of steel castings for such parts as main frame stays and boiler supports, and lighter construction of the foot plate and its supports.
As a result, the " Bantam Cock" locomotives will be able to travel on secondary lines over which the heavier "Green Arrow" and "Pacific" locomotives cannot be run owing to their weight. In fact, whereas the two latter types of engines are restricted to 2,752 route miles of the LNER, the "Bantam Cock" design can work over 5,000 route miles of the system.
The "Bantam Cock" design, together with the "Green Arrow" type of locomotive will greatly facilitate the standardisation of locomotive design on the LNER, as their all-round usefulness will dispense with the need for the construction of any further tender locomotives of 0-6-0 and 2-6-0 wheel arrangements, of which the L NE.R. possesses over 2,000 of many different designs. The principal dimensions are given on the diagram, but the following information may be interesting : The three cylinders are 15 in. diameter by 26 in. stroke. The valves have a maximum travel of 6 1/16 in., a steam lap of 15/8 in. for the outside cylinders, and 1 1/16 in. for the inside. The cut-off in full gear is 70 per cent, and the calculated tractive effort is 27,420 lb., which gives the excellent adhesive factor of I to 3.96, since the total adhesive weight is 108,752 lb. Bantam Cock certainly makes a splendid prototype for a model; her coupled wheel­base is extraordinarily short, while the leading and trailing pony trucks make the engine very flexible on curves. These engines are painted the standard L.N.E.R. green, with black and white lining, for boiler, cab and tender body; the wheels, also, are green picked out in black, with white lining on the boss and round the inner edge of each tyre. Frames, etc., are black lined in vermilion. The classification is "V-4" and I think that most of my readers will agree that the whole design is neat, compact and pleasing.
I am hoping to be able to illustrate and describe the new electric locomotive later. Only one was put in hand, and it will probably be subjected to extended trial and observation before any more are built. It is, I understand, a "mixed traffic" engine, with a maximum speed of 65 m.p.h., for working on the electrified section from Manchester to Sheffield, via Woodhead Tunnel, a stretch of line that has always been difficult to work , on account of the heavy gradients. Doncaster is responsible for both these new productions.
3401.jpg
Mikeh-49395
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Re: Old Model Railway Magazine Articles - Pulley & Bell Wagons

Post by Mikeh-49395 »

60526 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:49 am
Bell
This N.E.R.-Section vehicle is noteworthy as being a " one off " wagon. It is designed to carry bell covers for furnaces up to seven tons in weight, but owing to its short wheelbase its use is very limited.
bell.jpg
I’ve just stumbled across this topic and was wondering if anyone has more details on this wagon?

Many thanks

Mike