Buffer-stop lights?

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

nutford
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Buffer-stop lights?

Post by nutford »

Just want to check LNER practice re buffer stop lights.

My understanding is a red light was displayed at platform-end buffers.
No light was at most others - it being in any case impractical for isolated sidings etc.

But - is that correct? And what about buffer stops in station environs, eg goods yards, where it would have been perfectly possible...?
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Buffer-stop lights?

Post by StevieG »

Nutford, not much help specifically regarding LNER practice, but I believe that, more widely, there have been many instances of a white light on such as certain siding buffer stops for many decades, but no idea on any criteria for installation or non- installation.

In much more recent times (approx. last 20 years?), with increasing emphasis on safety risks, formal risk assessments, and a little less reliance on drivers' route knowledge, then where track/depot/resignalling changes, or perhaps post-accident investigations, have been involved, and/or a changeover from oil to electric lights has been done, fewer if any stops have been permitted to be light-less.
One particular point during these later times has been that, while a red light has seemed the more logical light generally, there have been cases of a white being substituted for a red for stops next to or otherwise close to, running lines if there has been any question of a red there being mistaken as a signal light for the running line.
Just possibly, that consideration may have applied over many decades in such circumstances.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
nutford
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Re: Buffer-stop lights?

Post by nutford »

Yep, white lights were used next to running lines. But I believe red in stations.

But as you say, once we had electric lights it was much more feasible to install them away from stations. Back in the 1930s I think they wouldn't be far from a station for the practical reason of lighting them. Just not sure about goods yards...