Raven A2

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Raven A2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Did any RTR makers ever produce a Raven A2 Pacific? Can't find any mention on the odd sites I've had a look at.

Graeme Leary
New Zealand
nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Re: Raven A2

Post by nzpaul »

Don't think so Graeme. DJH used to do a kit but it was a bit of a difficult build from what I can make out.

Cheers
Paul
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

The DJH kit was reasonable build the etched cab/roof was poor fit as was some of the detailing parts. Limited edition so hard to find anyway.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all from sunny Surrey

The Raven A2 was produced by DJH as a limited edition of 175 kits. This was of the first two engines with inside bearings on the trailing truck.
It was later reissued with an outside bearing trailing truck.
I picked up the original kit about 10 years ago, as part of a job lot with two SEF K3 kits for the bargain price of £140. I was well pleased as the A2 kit often sells for more singly.
The A2 kit is still on my roundtuit shelf with many other kits.
An interesting version would be 2404 as rebuilt with an A3 boiler and 8 wheel boiler.
Now to spend a couple of hours building a couple of 51L (Wizard) fish vans, diagrams F6 and F9.

Earlswood Nob
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Graeme Leary wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:45 am Did any RTR makers ever produce a Raven A2 Pacific? ...
I suppose we might see another of the five remaining classes of LNER pacific that lack a RTR model 'get the call', so it has a 20% chance?

Or perhaps not, considering that the NER's B16 4-6-0, followed by the Atlantics, probably have greater claims of potential commercial success among the NER design big engines?
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Thanks all - but my query was a flight of fancy anyway as I had just seen a shot (In Named Trains of LNER) of a Raven A2 pulling the QOS. Thought it might be a interesting change from the various Gresley A1s I already have working other mainline expresses from that era.

Graeme
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by 60048 »

Hi all,
I will be totally honest and say I am not that well up on the detail differences in classes. But is a conversion from any of the RTR models possible, either through etches parts or scratch building perhaps? I assuming that the valve gear and connecting rod arrangements would scupper the use of a RTR chassis?

Rich
Rich

Interested in all LNER (the original, not modern one!) pre-grouping, pre-Nationalisation and under BR)
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

60048 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:12 pm Hi all,
I will be totally honest and say I am not that well up on the detail differences in classes. But is a conversion from any of the RTR models possible, either through etches parts or scratch building perhaps? I assuming that the valve gear and connecting rod arrangements would scupper the use of a RTR chassis?

Rich
Suggest that you look on the locomotive sections of this forum, which are very good. ......here.....

There is very little RTR which could contribute. The major problem with all the NER outside-cylinder bogie engines is getting them to go round corners.
hallofgwr3
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by hallofgwr3 »

Was there ever a djh kit made in a factory special complete rtr? Crownline did a lot of lner conversion packs for various classes all based on rtr models though mainly before super detail locos came about