Diamond Crossings

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Diamond Crossings

Post by Graeme Leary »

My layout (100 code) has a total of 7 'diamond' crossings; 3 Peco (SL-93); 2 Hornby (1 each R614 & R615) and 2 Atlas #172. I've used the Atlas as they have a fairly open angle (obtuse??) which minimises the effect of the curved track crossing the straight ahead track, especially after I cut back as close as possible to the actual crossover the part used on the curved section.

The Peco and Atlas have a 'open' space between the crossing tracks ie you can see the (moulded) sleepers under the actual rails) but the Hornby have a solid moulded plastic section between the crossovers .

Generally all operate satisfactorily but, and with no particular pattern, occasionally some locos stall on one or 2 of the crossings. These are not necessarily short wheelbase locos such as 0-4-0s or 0-6-0s but equally (as 5 minutes ago) can be a Pacific with wider distance between the driving wheels and pickups. The fact that my layout is all insulfrog may have something to do with it and in hindsight I would probably go electrofrog if starting again (or even attempt making my own track) . However, it is the irregularity that is frustrating as it does not seem to be any of the 3 makes that stand out as the main culprit. (I also have some 30 odd points, a mix of Hornby and Peco both setrack and streamline which seem to be okay).

If any other member has experienced this or similar (and has solved it!!!) I'd be pleased for any comments. Also makes me wonder if I'm the only modeller who ever wanted to have double parallel curved tracks with straight tracks leading off requiring the inner (direct straight ) track having to cross the outer curved track and had to compromise as I've done. Maybe something for Peco/Hornby to consider but realise would not be huge business.

Graeme Leary
New Zealand