Aberdonian (not THE Aberdonian)

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Re: Aberdonian (not THE Aberdonian)

Post by Graeme Leary »

Finally have my 'truncated' (and seriously inaccurate due to non-availability of kits or adaptable RTR models) 'Aberdonian' very close to running on my layout but wonder if there was a standard practise as to the direction the corridor sleeping cars ran. At least I may be able to get this right!

Seagull's earlier roster posting that the dia 7 CKL had the 1st Class compartments at the North end suggests to me that the corridor side would therefore have been on the west side and, if correct, does this mean that all other corridor cars (sleeping or otherwise) had the compartments facing East and the corridors West? I assume the carriages were not turned so whether Up or Down the corridors always faced one way and the compartments the other or was it all a bit random?

(I asked a similar question much earlier about the Flying Scotsman and from memory, a forum member who responded recalled sitting in compartments facing out to sea so this suggests West side for the corridors and East for the compartments, if in fact that was the practise).

Graeme
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Here is a photo sent by Graeme Leary and posted with his permission. It shows his model of the Aberdonian.
20190812_152840 Graeme Leary Aberdonian v3.jpg
John
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Thanks to John for posting the shot (and also to John and Dave/Humorist for the diagram drawings you've sent over)

If of interest, I have worked from a roster kindly posted by 'seagull' back in April but to a reduced length due to platform length limitations. However, plenty of other 'discrepancies due to lack of RTR models and/or kits to cover the actual diagrams. Other than complete non- appearance of twin articulated sleepers (diag 161/2) as no RTRs or kits made and the models used being all the same length (ie scale 61'6")- the main errors are:-

SLTs (x 2): I have had to adapt the Hornby 1st class RTR sleeping car (R4174) by changing the running numbers (from range supplied by 'seagull') and changing the class from 1st to 3rds. However, there is nothing I could find at all like the SLT diagram s 95 or 148 in the roster so glaring error here.

BGs: 2 of the 3 BGs in 'seagull's' roster are diagram 43 and the Hornby 'Full Brake LNER Teak model (R4530) is reasonably accurate (as is the same model (R4531) labelled BR (ex LNER) Crimson which I've repainted in teak).

The other BG is the all- steel diagram 45, (very similar in outwards appearance) and I've achieved the 'flush' all-steel side look by scraping the raised plastic panel mouldings off another R4531 model and repainting - to my limited capacity - in teak. Didn't know previously but the linings for the dia 45 are done in the same style as the 43, so 5 minutes after the teak repaint dried I reapplied the linings, on the 'now flush' sides, in the same format. (and difference between d 43 and d45 barely noticeable unless picked up).

CKL: Diagram 7. This too is an adaptation of a Hornby model (R4172) and told reasonably close - renumbered 157 as 'seagull's' roster.

BTK: Diagram 40: Used Hornby's R4170, also a compromise - comparing model and drawing the interior of d40 is much shorter than the model but closest I could find.

So probably not even 50% correct but happy with overall effect but have applied modeller's Rule 1 to my thinking (and have since added express head code lamps to P2 2001/Cock o the North so slightly more authentic!)

Thanks to all for your input on this project.

Graeme Leary
STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

I was pleased to meet your Aberdonian pal last week on his visit to these UK shores Graeme and of course he mentioned your good self.
(He and I have a fascination for a certain Ferryhill A4)

Might I ask you to PM me your email address please as I may have the odd bit of LNER related info for you

Thanks
Eric
STAFFORDA4
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Glad it all worked out for you Graeme, always happy to help (maybe) :wink: .
The train looks good, what is the purple vegetation ?.

John has very long arms to have lamped your loco from here.............
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Yes STAFFORDA4, Mike is a great guy and we met in most unusual circumstances - initially on the forum (where I assumed he was a UK based Brit) and then at a country show in the little NZ village I live in, where he was exhibiting his Highland cattle. He no doubt told you of his plans for Ferryhill - it is very impressive. Will get my email address away to you later today, many thanks for your offer.

Dave - matters botanical. The purple foliage is meant to represent clumps of heather which Aberdonian is rushing past. I did google some shots of heather to try and be correct - alas, appears not. Back to the garden shed! (Bring some authentic photos on the 8th).

John certainly saved the day with his wizardry on photos - my original was a dogs breakfast.

Graeme
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

Graeme,

the train looks good and frankly most other people who will look at it will just see a long train of teak carriages.

As for the heather,actually, it looks more like Rhododendron at this time, however of more interest is that heather
is a much lower slung vegetation, certainly around the borders, and of course the colour is much more dark
and purple. None the less,it certainly draws people's attention away from the make up of the train!!!!! :evil:

The P2 certainly looks the part, and thanks for sharing

Paul
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Easily fixed Paul - snip here and a snip there should bring the heather down to regulation height (and a more purple repaint). If I'm being as pedantic as I try to be on train formation and carriage detail I should be equally consistent about the surrounding vegetation.
Many thanks for comments.
Graeme
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Another view of Graeme's layout.
Graeme Leary FS photo v2.jpg
Nearest is the Flying Scotsman (with the FLYING SCOTSMAN painted BG roof – as the Pathe newsreel ‘In the Van 1932’) behind A1 2744/Grand Parade.

On the other side of the platform ‘The West Riding Pullman’ behind C1 3251 (based on a formation advised by the Pullman Society for June 1928).

2 different dates (4 years apart) and both expresses are shortened to fit into my mainline station which is ‘Batfield’, an amalgamation of 2 friends here hometowns – he was from Batley and his wife from Mirfield.

(In front Sentinel Cammell steam railcar 2136 HOPE).

Details as supplied by Graeme.

John
Norton Wood
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Norton Wood »

Hi,

Seeing this post has enabled me to ask my own questions

In a photo I found on SmugMug (2019) 2500 Windsor Lad Princes St Gardens Edinburgh Available at: https://railway-photography.smugmug.com ... -GWMsPRN/A. Accessed 17 April 2020.

Sadly the photo size was too great to include here so you'll need to go to the attachment.

Now, this is of A3 2500 Windsor Lad on the Aberdeen - Edinburgh Express, I assume this is of the same formation's which has been discussed at length here? If they are not can someone please inform me of what formation is here? A

As I'm looking to create this in O gauge.

Thanks
Tom
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

It is not a sleeper train.

The three leading vehicles are a Diagram 212 BTK (4), end vestibule type, next Diagram 155 TK, again an end vestibule type with 7 compartments, the third is a catering vehicle, probably a Diagram 187 Restaurant Composite.

The fourth carriage has an earlier pattern underframe, but I cannot be sure of the type, a CK might be logical.

John
Norton Wood
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Norton Wood »

Thank you,

Having gone into some in-depth research the catering vehicle is a RU or Unclassed Restaurant Car to Dia.11, this coach has I have read had a smaller kitchen and much larger seating area to run alone without a supporting dining car which would be the norm. According to Steve Bank's book, a CK is a normal vehicle to add in a standard Express set. As it's not part of the topic I'll stop posting here. But thank you I was struggling with the second vehicle, now it's just to find a drawing of said coach.

Thanks Tom
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

It is possible that it is a Diagram 11.

But it can only be one of 2 built in 1934, and I wonder about the windows. The D11s had shallow window vents in the seating section. They look the same depth along the carriage to me.

The train is the 9.0am from Aberdeen, behind the catering car is a CK (D7?), TK (D155), and BTK (D174?). The D174 is interesting because the CWB I have states that it has 18 seats. Other carriages to this diagram had 24 seats.

I am sure Graeme will not mind his thread being temporarily 'off-topic'.

John
Norton Wood
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Norton Wood »

Interesting,

I am still confused, regarding the TK in the photo. Does it have what appears to be 2 toilets on this side of the vehicle? Or is one of the window's been closed off by a blind?

Is it a standard 61'6? Or smaller type?

And as for the CK, I cannot really see but if I can find an operational diagram for the 09:00am service that might answer the question of what is actually in the set! :D

Do forgive me for being a bit slow, I am trying to get this right by asking ( if necessary silly or obvious questions)

Thanks
Tom
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

61'6", standard carriage length. Both toilets are on the same side as the corridor runs down the other.