Cawood branch rolling stock

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Cawood branch rolling stock

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

Yesterday at the Epsom exhibition, I bought a SEF Y7 on a whim, intending to convert it to a J79 by the fabrication of a bunker and extended chassis.

However, on returning home. the study of Green books and Yeadons, how that the J79 side tanks started further from the smokebox than the Y7.

The exception was No 407, which had the sidetanks extended forward and upward. This was to enable use on the Cawood branch.

Research has shown that the branch services consisted of a single bogie brake third carriage.

I can't imagine that a Gresley 51' as the branch closed in 1930.

I guess that NER stock was used, but which type? I think a NER clerestory would look good.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Earlswood nob

PS A G6 was also used on the branch, along with various railcars.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Cawood branch rolling stock

Post by JASd17 »

A 6 compartment Brake Third, 52ft type, so it could be a clerestory. Information from the NERA reprint of the 1926 CWB.

NE Diagram 83 is a clerestory type, there was an elliptical roof BT (6) version too.

John
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning

Thanks a lot, John, for your informative reply.

Earlswood Nob
mojo36
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by mojo36 »

According to the booklet "The Cawood, Wistow & Selby Light Railway", the passenger services from 1908 were provided by NER Petrol-Electric Autocars until grouping then some Sentinels were used from 1928. Passenger services ended on 31st December 1929.
Between these two types the booklet states that 407 worked the line with a single "bogie brake third" on a "One class only" service.
No photos are shown in the booklet for this coach, but one for 407 is shown as is the NER Autocar.
Maurice.
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Autocar Publicity »

earlswood nob wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:19 am PS A G6 was also used on the branch, along with various railcars.
Including both autocars, our 3170 and no.3171, whether you fancy Worsley Works' kits or Rails/Heljan's RTR.