Replacement motors to fit Portescap gearboxes

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Replacement motors to fit Portescap gearboxes

Post by Woodcock29 »

I have acquired some Portescap motor/gearboxes that have stuffed motors.

Can anyone guide me on what motors (if any) are direct replacements or relatively easy to fit?

I'm after motors for both the larger gearbox as fitted to RG4M and RG4C as well as the 1219.

Andrew
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Re: Replacement motors to fit Portescap gearboxes

Post by Horsetan »

Woodcock29 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:28 am I have acquired some Portescap motor/gearboxes that have stuffed motors.

Can anyone guide me on what motors (if any) are direct replacements or relatively easy to fit?

I'm after motors for both the larger gearbox as fitted to RG4M and RG4C as well as the 1219.

Andrew
Branchlines stock the Faulhaber range, which is more or less a straight swap for Escap. About £45 per motor, I think.

If you can obtain one in 1616 or 1624 equivalent, Maxon A-max motors are stronger. There used to be a US ebay trader who offered all sorts of Maxons for this purpose, but not sure what happened to him recently. ID was "microlocomotion", and he was certainly active up to about the beginning of this year.
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Re: Replacement motors to fit Portescap gearboxes

Post by Woodcock29 »

Thanks for the reminder about Branchlines Horsetan.

Andrew