1928 Pullmans

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

roverman
LNER N2 0-6-2T

1928 Pullmans

Post by roverman »

I wonder if anybody could provide a bit of of information for me. I'm using some Comet etched sides on an old Hornby Pullman to produce a kitchen third - you know - the one that Hornby already make nowadays. It's a training exercise for me as I've never gone down this route to make a coach and am enjoying the experience.

Anyway, as you'd expect, the Comet instructions are limited to a roof and interior layout and a bit of history about the coaches. The roof is my main stumbling block, it details the joining strip locations (not sure if the correct term is ribs?) and vent postions etc and only one tank filler, on the toilet end. Hornby's model has a tank filler also on the kitchen end, which to me seems more logical. So could anybody let me know if two fillers are correct or just one (in LNER days). I'm happy to purchase the relevant "profile" book if this would have this sort of detail in it.
+
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: 1928 Pullmans

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Every K type Pullman drawing I have had the pleasure of looking at has a water filler point on roof centreline, above all water consuming faclities below; whether kitchen, small pantry with sink as found in parlour cars, or 'commodes' (w.c.). So definitely a filler each end in the case of your car. Quite where exactly along the centreline is a question. On the all steel K cars as built, centre of the second full width roof panel in seems typical. As ever with the frequent refurbishments, whether such fittings stayed put or subsequently 'wandered' is in the 'photo required' category. Grab handles too either side for the man tasked with the refilling job.

The roof panel raised joints on the all steel K cars: my instinct is to call these cover or sealing strips. (In many respects BR based much of its mk1 design - unacknowledged - on this Pullman car design. The all steel roof of BR's mk1 benefitting from wartime advances in welding, specifically the development by Lincoln Electric of arc welding of armour plate. This enabled the roof sheets to be butt welded on a jig such that no further finishing was required before painting for the desired smooth roof profile. It was written up in 'The Engineer' in the 1950s, but sadly I don't have a reference.)
roverman
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by roverman »

Thanks so much for the info Hatfield! Less than 3 hours and I've got a detailed answer to my initial question plus gained some other useful knowledge - all just for asking!
This forum really is a good place to be!
Steve
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Steve,
As ever accept what I have written with the caution that this is what one person believes to be true on the evidence he has seen... Have fun with your kitbuild.