Ground Signals

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Bunkerbarge
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Ground Signals

Post by Bunkerbarge »

Another question if I may put it to you all. Did the LNER only use the disc type ground signals or did they ever use the lamp type of ground signals as supplied by DCCconcepts, in any of the configurations they sell such as the three aspect lamps or the two aspect lamps?

As per here:

https://www.dccconcepts.com/product-cat ... c-signals/
Trestrol
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Re: Ground Signals

Post by Trestrol »

They would have done where they installed power boxes. I can remember signals coming out of the infrastructure during ECML electrification. These were marked LNER but I am not sure from what area they came from. Lots of the major resignalling schemes were disrupted due to the war. So whether they were stockpiled for the war to finish I don’t know.
Bunkerbarge
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Bunkerbarge »

Many thanks for that Trestrol. From what you are saying and bearing in mind that I am modelling a fictitious area of Lincolnshire in 1948 I could get away with fitting them, certainly on the main line. Branches and sidings will probably be simply fitted with static discs.

If anyone knows of anything more definite please feel free to add.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Bunkerbarge, If by 2-aspect signals you mean those also described as red/green at the other end of the link which you posted, I am not aware that the LNER ever used that type for shunting signals [nor BR(E) or (NE) after them AFAIK].
The LNER certainly used 3-light types in the 1937 Leeds resignalling, though these had all three lights white (except those at trap points which apparently had their bottom left light orange/amber, presumably because passing one of those at Danger could result in immediate derailment, though that seems a strange logic in hindsight) : -
- As I believe some railways abroad used signals whose lights were all white, their indications being given only by the position(/'angle') of the illuminated lights - thus their being called, even today, position-light signals) - those at Leeds were probably one of the earliest (perhaps THE earliest) use of this position-light configuration of signal in the UK; though I don't know what sort of shunt signals were employed at the earlier LNER power schemes at Thirsk, Northallerton and Hull Paragon.
As far as I have ever read or heard, those at Leeds were the only ones which did not use a red light.
Those at York used the later conventional red + two whites : Although the York resignalling only came into use under BR(NE) in 1951, it had been designed by the LNER, to come in probably during 1940/41 had other events not caused its deferral.

I do think it highly unlikely that there were any position-lights in Lincolnshire during LNER days (and for very many years afterwards). In fact had there been any LNER power signalling there post-war, the shunt signals might well have been electrically-operated discs, as was done in the Doncaster scheme (c.1949) which was also in the LNER's Southern Area, and, as successor to the GNR (& GER), didn't necessarily adhere to the same principle details as the rest of the LNER (Leeds and York were 'Northern', the former NER area).
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Bunkerbarge
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Bunkerbarge »

Many thanks for your help and comprehensive reply Stevie, I guess its a 'No' then!

Shame as I thought they could look pretty good.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Bunkerbarge wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:58 pm Many thanks for your help and comprehensive reply Stevie, I guess its a 'No' then!

Shame as I thought they could look pretty good.
Don't forget Bunkerbarge, the modellers' 'Rule 1' (as sometimes called) - along the lines of 'A model's owner or club has the last say on what it looks like and what trains are run', so if you wanted to include position-light ground signals (even if on grounds of wanting them workable, and that sort being more practical to be so rather than discs), then it's up to you. [ And if you were lucky, only those nerdy enough about signalling history would challenge what they saw ! ]
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Bunkerbarge
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Bunkerbarge »

You know what Steve, you're right! I think that is something we forget a little too often as we research a subject and end up counting the rivets.

I really appreciate your help and inspiration.