Hatton's PROJECT GENESIS

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Hatton's PROJECT GENESIS

Post by JASd17 »

All rather unfortunate Atlantic 3279, because the ancient stock, in sets, lasted well into the LNER era in the Grimsby area.

But that is NE Lincs for you. Most of my grandparents came from that part of the county.

John
Albert Hill
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Albert Hill »

It seems Hattons have responded to some constructive criticism and are making alterations, good to see a productive consultation before production.
nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

Perhaps the fact that they are generic coaches would have been more widely accepted if Hatton's had used a sharper pencil for the price. Pay another £10 or so and you can buy a Bachmann Thomson coach which requires no work to look exactly as it should...more or less. If they were at the same price point as the Railroad Gresley coaches, modellers might see past the inappropriate bits and see the potential to work them into something good.

Cheers
Paul
kimballthurlow
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by kimballthurlow »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:02 pm .... if I could use the vehicles to sufficiently represent MS&L six wheelers that were photographed still making up full trains in North Lincolnshire after 1923. Not close enough to the right sort I feel.....
Maybe we (as a group) should suggest that Hattons produce only accurate MS&l or GNR versions, and allow all the other companies to use that (less-acccurate for them) design.
I notice the roof lines are different. Am I correct in saying with drop-in gas lamps for pre-group, and electric lighting for post?
Where are the gas cylinders?

Kimball
billbedford
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by billbedford »

kimballthurlow wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:17 am Maybe we (as a group) should suggest that Hattons produce only accurate MS&l or GNR versions, and allow all the other companies to use that (less-acccurate for them) design.
Year right....

The real problem with GNR six wheelers is that just about every diagram has a different length, and if two have the same length the wheelbases are different. This makes mass production with injection moulding more than a little expensive.

Ohhh and the MS&L/GCR had five lengths for their six wheelers.

Maybe you should be looking for someone who uses more advanced technology to produce your coaches.
Bill Bedford
Mousa Models
http://www.mousa-models.co.uk
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

billbedford wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:04 am ...Maybe you should be looking for someone who uses more advanced technology to produce your coaches.
Different customer group than those who want something 'passable'. But I am an optimist, and can see that some who might begin with generic representations may find in time their interest grows, and then will start looking for something more authentically representing the focus of that interest. It's a journey many present modellers have likely progressed along.
kimballthurlow
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by kimballthurlow »

billbedford wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:04 am ......The real problem with GNR six wheelers is that just about every diagram has a different length, and if two have the same length the wheelbases are different. This makes mass production with injection moulding more than a little expensive.

Ohhh and the MS&L/GCR had five lengths for their six wheelers....
Yes Bill I agree with your observations.
Thinking/lobbying selfishly as a group is whistling in the wind if the real coaches had so many variables.

regards
Kimball
lu4472ke
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by lu4472ke »

Artwork for the Pre war LNER brown livery

https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=882
David Eveleigh
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by David Eveleigh »

I hesitate to present these images as the coaches are not finished and need some tidying up, but a variety of GNR etched coach kits are available - Compo, Third, Brake Third, Full Brake, all the correct lengths, as etched kits. The only thing is you have to be modelling in 2mm scale.
GNR six wheeled coaches 800 x 300.jpg
GNR six wheeled coaches 2 800 x 300.jpg
As far as 4 mm kits are concerned, etched kits for a range of six wheeled coaches are available to Great Eastern designs, and some of them are passably similar to some LDEC - later GCR coaches, according to a discussion Graeme who contributes here and I have been having.
Dave S
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Dave S »

There are some more 4mm GN etched coaches on the way but I am still test building.
Ocean Swell
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Ocean Swell »

David Eveleigh wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:13 pm
As far as 4 mm kits are concerned, etched kits for a range of six wheeled coaches are available to Great Eastern designs
I might have to look into these as they could make an excellent grounded coach body that were so common on the ex-GE lines.
Woodcock29

Post by Woodcock29 »

Dave S
Are you able to say what Dia Nos the GN 6 wheelers will be yet ?

Andrew
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Now, the one time Broad Street inner-suburban services that the LMS operated until WWII, which ran onto the ex-GNR main line and terminated at Potters Bar. Anyone know when the last of the inherited ex-NLR 4 wheel coach sets were withdrawn? It was well into the 1930s.
NZRedBaron
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by NZRedBaron »

So, I've had one of their LNER liveried Full Brakes on pre-order for a while now, to go on my parcels train; but now I'm pondering if it would be worth my while to get a couple of other coaches for either a branch line train, or to be added to the parcels train for the 'early morning' shift workers.

Would a parcels train like that have carried passengers? Or should I just use them on their own train?
Woodcock29

Post by Woodcock29 »

In my view its such a pity that Hattons didn't decide to base the coaches on actual prototypes even if they did bring them out in a range of liveries.
At least some would have had accurate models of coaches in a correct livery rather than generic coaches based on nothing specific.