Coupling system discussion

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Coupling system discussion

Post by mick b »

No idea how you can say Kadees are better looking than Tension locks ,they are are just as ugly and hugely oversize as well.

Peco/Parkside do a mounting block for NEM couplings, no idea if Kadees mountings will fit however.

Tony Wright is a advocate of a L shape and a Goalpost shape piece of wire between coaches. Ok for fixed rakes, useless otherwise, as it is impossible to uncouple them.
kimballthurlow
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by kimballthurlow »

Graeme Leary wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:17 am .... I think it is likely I will have to cobble something together as I cannot locate a ready made block with the NEM362 slot that can be screwed/glued underneath in place of the original - mainly wider 'hook' - tension couplings but if anybody is aware of such a product I'd be one very happy little modeller.

Graeme Leary
New Zealand
Hi Graeme,
This is what I use to convert older rolling stock.
Packs of 8 for 9 Euros.
They are nickel-silver etchings which fold into the shape of the NEM coupler box.
Although made specifically for older Hornby Acho, France Trains and Jouef, they can be adapted for various items of rolling stock.
Easily soldered or attached by screw.
This link is for the France Trains version.
Follow the links at the left side under HO : Systèmes d'attelage->
Boîtiers NEM / Ressorts (15)
to see the other variations.

http://www.ydmodels.com/catalog/product ... 6597ef312e

Kimball
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

mick b - 'Ouch' regarding your comments on the appearance of Kadee v tension couplings. My rationale is that kadees don't have the long protruding hook nor the 'loop' that the hooks drop down into and are approximately 1 cm wide, in newer stock (and about double that in the old types I'm trying to replace). However will look into the Peco/Parkside mounting blocks you mention.

Kimball - Sacre bleu! My education out here didn't extend to French but the illustration on the link certainly looks as though these may be what I'm after (if after mick b's comments I still stick with kadee - obviously more to this topic than first meets the eye). And do you know if any UK retailer has picked up this product and stocks it - easier to deal with UK retailers, many of whom I'm aware of (nothing to do with these interesting stay/leave times you lot are experiencing over your way).

Graeme
kimballthurlow
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by kimballthurlow »

Graeme Leary wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:09 pm .. And do you know if any UK retailer has picked up this product and stocks it - easier to deal with UK retailers, many of whom I'm aware of ..

Graeme
Hi Graeme,
No I do not know of any UK stockistss.
I have purchased from YDModels about 3 times in the last 5 years, and have never had any problems.
And I use Google translate to understand the website instructions..

Kimball
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Greetings all,

I have now bought a couple of packs of Hornby's X6354 and these (described on Frizinghall Model's invoice as 'Coupling Hook and Bar) are ideal.

The first goods wagons I've used them on are probably the oldest; 4 Triang 1 plank wagons (with B17/18 embossed underneath) with a 'drop hook' and rigid metal loop, open on one side to allow adjoining wagons to couple together. All that was required was cutting off the entire metal coupling assembly, which appears to be made in one part with the underframe and also carries the buffers, filing off and painting the rough edges and glueing on the X6354.

The advantage of the X6354 is that they will take either Kadee couplings or what I presume are the now standard NEM couplings (with 2 long swallow tail push in arms) as seems to be supplied on many more recent RTR rolling stock and locos, so I can decide later which type of coupling to finally settle on).

However on the locos, a quick look at the front bogies on just a couple of them (in this instance a Hornby B12 and a D49) suggest that adapting these in the same way will not be as straight forward as to remove the protruding hook and 'loop' (the really ugly part of the bogie) has insufficient height above the tracks to glue/fix these X6354 underneath (and would be too low anyway to couple to wagons/carriages). So a little more thought is required how to do this job.

To fix I've used CA glue which, whilst capable of knocking you out if not careful about inhaling the fumes, has enough strength to remain firmly in place and take the weight of a number of wagons/carriages behind a loco.

The other advantage of the X6354 is that they cost me GBP1.20 per pack of 10 so 24p per wagon to change too (couplings extra of course).

I also bought Peco's PA34 but these do not seem to be made for this particular job (and are a quid dearer per pack).

Graeme Leary
New Zealand