NER Snowplough 4mm Model

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

NER Snowplough 4mm Model

Post by mick b »

drmditch

Re: NER Snowplough 4mm Model

Post by drmditch »

It's always annoying when someone starts making something commercially that one has made for oneself!
Nevertheless, I'm quite pleased with my model of one of the steel ones .... here....

By 1923, there were 20 wooden ones and 4 steel ones.

The only problem that NER snowploughs were usually kept and used in pairs - I have planned to make another one and have some of the parts cut out - but I doubt I'll have it ready for the winter coming!

It will be interesting to see NIUModels version of LNER Engineering Blue - and how well it fades!

By-the-way Snowplough No.12 in NER livery is at Locomotion in Shildon.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Re your link

I have just looked in the book you mentioned , nothing on page 52 realting to a Snowplough ?

I have only seen one photo of a pale Blue vehicle in LNER markings which was a ex GNR wagon in the old Tatlow book.

I have never seen a Pale Blue ex NER Snowplough all appear to be Dark Blue in photos.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

mick b wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:04 am Re your link

I have just looked in the book you mentioned , nothing on page 52 realting to a Snowplough ?

I have only seen one photo of a pale Blue vehicle in LNER markings which was a ex GNR wagon in the old Tatlow book.

I have never seen a Pale Blue ex NER Snowplough all appear to be Dark Blue in photos.
The colour reference I used was Page 51 of 'LNER Locomotives in Colour'. This shows the end of a coach in Departmental service, and it is a pale blue.
This is the only picture in my library that I have found of an 'Engineer's Blue' vehicle.
From general reading, and other modeller's threads I understand that the Oxford Blue used did fade very quickly.

Page 52 of David and Claire Williamson's 'Railway Snowploughs in the North East, was my main reference for general finish. It is not in colour.
The upper picture on that page does show Plough No.24 in what may well be a recently re-painted Dark Blue.
The lower picture shows No.23 and 24 standing at Kirkby Stephen. It appears to be a summer/autumn picture, the finish appears much lighter than the above, and the steel clearly shows evidence of work staining and rust. This is what I have tried to replicate!

I don't know how often the Snowploughs were re-painted.

Do you know of any other useful pictures?
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

This is the only decent LNER photo I have , taken from the K .Hoole 1960's NER Snowploughs Diagaram book.
It shows the Waskerley Ploughs Nos 5 & 14 in 1935. No evidence of the severe fading that would be needed ,to be called Pale/faded Blue. The Roofs appear to be White as well, which I havd'nt noticed before today.
Personally I would never model anything that pale shade of Blue. I have now seen the photo you mention and again colour emulsions of 1930's are not reliable guides. IMHO

fullsizeoutput_2bff.jpeg
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

NIU Models 4mm version has arrived,Best 3D model I have seen no moulding ridges anywhere, minimal clean up is required. There is slight bending/flexing along the the base of the body , once the chassis is fixed in , I will add a piece(s) of Brass etch scrap to keep it level/straight before painting. A very simple kit and overall well made. Wheels and Decals are also included in the kit.

The front leading edge of the Snowplough is Steel on the real one. Would that have been painted as the body colour or left to rust any ideas please ?? .

C792C50E-C217-43F4-BD5D-D7A72E8697C0_1_201_a.jpeg
DEB1CBE2-84CF-41B0-A8B1-08CC5F713C38_1_201_a.jpeg