Alan Pegler Flying Scotsmen Days.

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

DonnyRailMan
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Alan Pegler Flying Scotsmen Days.

Post by DonnyRailMan »

When Allan Pegler bought Flying Scotsmen back in 1963 what was his reason for going back to the single chimney.
DonnyRailMan Instagram @severncrescentrailway
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Re: Alan Pegler Flying Scotsmen Days.

Post by greenglade »

At a guess, I would say that Pegler tried to relive his youth and put the loco back to how she was when he first saw it at the Wembley Exhibition in 1924/5, or as close as was possible. His father took him to the Wembley Exhibition when a very young boy and from what I've read the sight and memory of seeing this magnificent very large locomotive lasted him throughout his lifetime.

Pete
DonnyRailMan
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Re: Alan Pegler Flying Scotsmen Days.

Post by DonnyRailMan »

greenglade wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:24 pm At a guess, I would say that Pegler tried to relive his youth and put the loco back to how she was when he first saw it at the Wembley Exhibition in 1924/5, or as close as was possible. His father took him to the Wembley Exhibition when a very young boy and from what I've read the sight and memory of seeing this magnificent very large locomotive lasted him throughout his lifetime.

Pete
Yeah I forgot about that remember i now. I think it is ashame he was never made Sir Alan Pegler
For saving an iconic part of railway history.
DonnyRailMan Instagram @severncrescentrailway