Non-corridor coaches

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

mistahjim
LNER J39 0-6-0

Non-corridor coaches

Post by mistahjim »

Hi all,

Were all of the non-vestibule coaches built by the LNER based on the 51’ underframe? Or were there some longer ones?

TIA
What do you get when you cut an avocado into 6.022 x10^23 pieces?

Guacamole.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Non-corridor coaches

Post by JASd17 »

How long have you got?

It would be an idea to buy a Harris book.

John
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

John is correct in that describing all of them would take too much time when the answers are available in print. However a summary might help:

The 51' 1.5" underframe was standard for Gresley designs and the 52' 1.5" underframe for the post-war stock (sometimes referred to as 'Thompson').

Some principal exceptions were:

The articulated Quads and Quins and various Twins that were built on varying shorter or longer underframes or where the underframes varied in length within the sets;

The GE Section 'Ilford' stock that maintained the same 54' length as the GE-built sets for compatibility;

The Dia. 265 Gresley steel-panelled Lavatory Third for the GE Section also built on a 54' underframe;

All other coaching stock that comprised new bodies re-using existing pre-Grouping underframes from constituent companies on various longer or shorter underframes.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

Sorry to hi-jack this thread, but there are non-vestibule coaches included.

I thought Mickey would like this photo from October 1970, which I found in a box I purchased at a recent auction sale. Any additional comments will be welcome.

d5605  suburban 10_70.jpg
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/