real water, or model

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

real water, or model

Post by john coffin »

Seeing Doncaster actually under water, during the last couple of days, does link to the above title, but not in a bad way.

Just a word or two to hope that no one on here has actually lost either their home, or their layout and workshop facilities
or their library, the last few days. Like many, I had no idea that the Don, certainly through Doncaster was capable of being so strong.

Much of my old stomping ground from Arnold to Doncaster and Sheffield seems to have really suffered, but so far it seems
that only one person has paid the ultimate price. As a forum, there is little we can do except offer our support.

The after effects will be pretty long term too,so let's also hope no club lost their facilities.

Paul
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: real water, or model

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

By great good fortune we've escaped the trouble this time, but having had business premises in Grimsby under several inches of rain / drain / sewer water four times in the past, I can sympathise with anybody who is having to clear out the revolting mess and contemplate the cost and other consequences of the latest stationary band of heavy rain to have affected this region. How we escaped, I really don't know, as I went out of town this morning and found numerous lakes in what were previously fields, some of them still pouring water across the road into slightly lower lying fields.....
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Commiserations to anyone caught in the floods in England, we haven't heard a lot about the flooding down under, our news is, at the moment saturated (sorry) with news on the Bushfires in New South Wales and Queensland, three lives lost so far, and many thousands of acres and hundreds of houses burnt to the ground.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

It is interesting that at different ends of the world, fire is affecting people, whilst we have our usual water falls.

I recently updated my software for drawing, and had to wait a couple of days to complete the transaction
because of the fires in California, the power company had to shut down for a couple of days, so no internet.

Looking at the News tonight,was the first time we have seen the latest fires in Aus, but you have had so
many years of drought in many states, that I am sure that it is still a real risk that fires will start almost
monthly. Obviously not happy about the losses.

As for your Graeme, that will teach you to live on the wrong side of Kirton Linday!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Glad your shop didn't suffer, nor your workshop, I checked with Tony Gee and he and Buckingham also missed
being made their own canal.

All we can do is hope it moves away tonight and doesn't flood anywhere else.

Take care
Paul