New Bachmann V2 early prototype

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

New Bachmann V2 early prototype

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

At last it actually exists, but seems to have sneaked under the radar quite effectively. I only noticed a faint ripple of news of it over in the other place today.
https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index ... nt-3749329
Looks good to me. Perhaps we should avoid both wild enthusiasm and deep cynicism, since a lot has already been said about Bachmann development / delivery timescales?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: New Bachmann V2 early prototype

Post by JASd17 »

I would offer only this. Is it not totally astonishing that no remotely correct V2 has been offered by the industry thus far?

My Gresley locos in order of preference:

P1
A1
V2
V1
O2

A totally subjective list.

At least Mr Bulleid agreed with the first!

John
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

I am privileged to spend most of my Fridays in company with the last remaining V2.
For me, this is Sir Nigel's finest design, and that of course is not to denigrate the other marvellous machines listed above.

I should also remind people that most of the V2s were built in Darlington.

I do feel the urge and/or need to make or buy a good model of a V2, so I hope that Bachmann will produce their new product before my declining years deprive me of the money or the time available to enjoy it!
nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

I might be seeing things, but it appears to have a flange-less wheel set under the cab...... they've seen the light.
In all seriousness though, that's more like it. It's a bit pricey for my liking but could be tempted if they come up with a stunner.

Paul
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

A particularly encouraging feature seen in the images of the EP samples, is the much better rendering of the outside frames and Cartazzi axleboxes, compared to their previous pacific and V2 models. (The implication is that the mechanism too is being renewed, which is welcome as the replacement for the split chassis was rather lacking in both traction and speed.) Flanges are clearly in view on the rear truck wheelset, so we are free of Hornby's abomination in that department...
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

The V2 has already had a chassis update with overscale valve gear a couple of years ago , the photos looks like that has been improved as well.

At nearly £200 !! :shock: :shock: sadly it will have to be exceptional ,for me to buy one.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Glad to know that it isn't only me who thinks that RTR prices are looking ever more like phone numbers.

Not a major concern for those of us who have built our own acceptable versions of the locos and rolling stock that we wanted (if in some cases less exotically detailed but at least the shape), working either from kits, from scratch or from less expensive previous RTR versions.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

I think patience might be the key to acquiring one, Hornby Duchesses released at £170 now around £130 , less than a year since being released. So I'll keep my fingers crossed that the same happens to the V2 price. If I miss out, oh well.... :cry:

Paul
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Agree, Bachmann are taking the proverbial !! al their prices are eye watering !!
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

nzpaul wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:33 pm I think patience might be the key to acquiring one, Hornby Duchesses released at £170 now around £130 , less than a year since being released. So I'll keep my fingers crossed that the same happens to the V2 price. If I miss out, oh well.... :cry:

Paul
Exactly. Only those willing to walk away without a deal get the best deal - something that seems to be a problem for certain people to understand.

S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:44 pm At last it actually exists, but seems to have sneaked under the radar quite effectively. I only noticed a faint ripple of news of it over in the other place today.
https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index ... nt-3749329
Looks good to me. Perhaps we should avoid both wild enthusiasm and deep cynicism, since a lot has already been said about Bachmann development / delivery timescales?
The interesting thing about those photographs are the cylinders. They have the correct spindle ends for every V2 except Green Arrow, which had the torpedo shaped ends.

Really impressive stuff. But I do not regret building my Graeme King resin ones at all. :)
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

mick b wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:28 pm ... nearly £200 !! :shock: :shock: sadly it will have to be exceptional, for me to buy one.
Then again if the model really accurately represents a V2, which happily looks to be in prospect, it will by definition be exceptional. :D
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Hatfield Shed wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:37 pm
mick b wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:28 pm ... nearly £200 !! :shock: :shock: sadly it will have to be exceptional, for me to buy one.
Then again if the model really accurately represents a V2, which happily looks to be in prospect, it will by definition be exceptional. :D
Time will tell ,(god knows how long as we are talking Bachmann!!) I will quite happily cough up !! :lol: :lol: :shock:
davidwest
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by davidwest »

Having seen it close up, it does look very good. Bachmann rep at the NEC told me that it had been redesigned from top to bottom. With multiple interchangeable parts. Three different tender designs, and a number of different loco body toolings. Single double, chimney variants. Cylinder differences and so on.
He described it as the bachmann release of 2020. As a modeller of BR 1960ish period bachmann have tended to make the orange too bright. It will be interesting to see painted samples.
I assume bachmann hope that prospect I've buyer's have deep pockets.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

That's a promising report, that Bachmann have the significant variations in hand. I like the 'release of 2020' the rep proposes, but let's see.

Don't know about others, but this prospective purchaser has a budget allocation for modelling, and when it is spent, there simply isn't any more. And the purchases are only those suited to BR(ER) in the KX inner suburban area. As far as RTR purchases are concerned, two OR N7 have been the sole new items this year, and a third early next year will suffice for Hatfield shed's allocation. Bachmann can scoop the pool with V2s, there's little else potentially available of interest.