LNER (GCR) S1 Build

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: LNER (GCR) S1 Build

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

Wizard models do an etched 7'0 bogie (ex-Comet).

Earlswood Nob
Paul_sterling
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Paul_sterling »

Hi All,

The first cut print of the Superstructure took place over the weekend, so later today I may be able to post a pic of it. Looks okay, but I think i'll beef up the inner wall of the tanks (currently 0.5-0.75mm) to 1mm, as the internal section is currently 4.1mm, and it only needs 3.5 to provide clearance for the "liquid lead" shot to fit in.

Otherwise, it looks good, I'm particularly happy with the finish on the bunker slats, or whatever is appropriate to call them.

Cheers, Paul.
Paul_sterling

Post by Paul_sterling »

ImageIMG_20191210_081143[1] by Paul Sterling, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20191210_081150[1] by Paul Sterling, on Flickr

The Cab is not fitted, simply because it doesn't fit. I had not transferred the firebox dimensions over from the Q1 CAD correctly, so they were smaller than they should be, a quick change, and the replacement Cab should be fine.

Cheers, Paul.

P.s. the tank sides are a couple mm back from where they should be (i.e. tight to the sand boxes), hence the "anorexics only" cab entrance.
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

Looking great Paul, I'm not familiar with the class so took a look at google, nice work sir...

Pete
Paul_sterling

Post by Paul_sterling »

greenglade wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:09 pm Looking great Paul, I'm not familiar with the class so took a look at google, nice work sir...

Pete

Thanks Pete.

The S1's are absolute beasts. One of the heaviest tank loco's used in the UK (with the exception of the Garretts). When they were pensioned off from the Hump yards, I've often wished they had seen use on the Lickey, Severn Tunnel, or even Worsbrough, even if the latter was electrified by then, it might just have given them enough time for one to have been saved.

Again, my plan is, once I'm fiendishly rich, I'll repatriate two of the ROD 2-8-0's from Aus, and have one built as a Q1 tank, and one as an S1. Could be done.............. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Paul.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

I wouldn't hold your breath about the Lotto win, and even if you did, the people that now own the two ROD's, have very little idea what they are doing, everything is locked away in open storage, and they are very secretive. Most of there 'Preserved stock' is falling to bits. I was there two years ago, right mess.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Paul_sterling

Post by Paul_sterling »

manna wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:27 pm G'Day Gents

I wouldn't hold your breath about the Lotto win......

manna
Nor would I, I never put the lottery on!

It isn't the only way to get rich you know......
Paul_sterling

Post by Paul_sterling »

A few more pics

ImageIMG_20191210_162011[1] by Paul Sterling, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20191210_163938[1] by Paul Sterling, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20191210_163959[1] by Paul Sterling, on Flickr
Resonably subtle, but I've added slightly deeper exterior frames to the bogie now to conceal the locking nut.

ImageIMG_20191210_164007[1] by Paul Sterling, on Flickr
The front end fastening for the swing link is better hidden.

ImageIMG_20191210_165610[1] by Paul Sterling, on Flickr

The handsome brute with its cab laid on, a few more tweaks before I start to load things up with lead.

Paul.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

manna wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:27 pm... the people that now own the two ROD's, have very little idea what they are doing, everything is locked away in open storage, and they are very secretive. Most of there 'Preserved stock' is falling to bits. I was there two years ago, right mess.
Dorrigo is a scrapyard in all but name. Website hasn't been touched since 2013 either.

Things may get even more interesting once the owners (if they are not Trusts or other charitable bodies) of the various items kick the bucket....
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Here's a couple of the worst examples of there 'Preserved items'.................
Attachments
DSCF2951.JPG
DSCF2959.JPG
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Paul_sterling

Post by Paul_sterling »

Ouch. It is an aspect of preservation that a number of centres are facing upto now, that the amount of stock they possess, is more than they can sensibly (but more crucially financially) look after. Even the NRM have done it recently, with their "de-ascentioning". Sometimes it's ironic that we have this situation, but also welcome new built to the fray (but I'm very happy to see the new builds that we have had come into fruition).

Paul.
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

I was at Dorrigo back in July mainly to photograph the RODs. The guy who owns the place came out for a chat. He has some form of support group who do undertake maintenance on some items. Clearly the amount of stock is way beyond any group managing it properly. He did point out new canvas on roofs of some coaches undertaken recently. There have even been new arrivals at the site in the last 12 months or so including an electric loco I believe.

The steam locos appear to be in not too bad a condition given the time most have been there. Every 2-3 years he said they are painted with waste oil to protect the metal surfaces from corrosion.

His biggest gripe was with the local council whom he said were 'green' and had no tolerance for the site being opened up as a museum - I have no idea whether that is correct or not?

I have attached some photos from my visit.
Attachments
DSC_10124 s.jpg
DSC_10123 s.jpg
DSC_10120 s.jpg
DSC_10135 s.jpg
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Woodcock29 wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:27 am I was at Dorrigo back in July mainly to photograph the RODs. The guy who owns the place came out for a chat......
His biggest gripe was with the local council whom he said were 'green' and had no tolerance for the site being opened up as a museum - I have no idea whether that is correct or not?...
Local Council's website
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

I rather feel the local authority that has Dorrigo in its patch is probably concerned with more serious and imminent difficulties at present. And any thought of someone using any water to work on old steam locomotives - let alone get one working - is out of court, and that's that!
Paul_sterling wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:55 pm Ouch. It is an aspect of preservation that a number of centres are facing up to now, that the amount of stock they possess, is more than they can sensibly (but more crucially financially) look after... Sometimes it's ironic that we have this situation, but also welcome new built to the fray (but I'm very happy to see the new builds that we have had come into fruition).
There will be a natural process of attrition. The highly professional outfits that are training a workforce in the necessary competencies to support their well managed tourist attraction should mostly survive. The small groups determined to preserve their specimen of a 'Bungler' class (of which there are a score or more rusting wrecks in existence) will naturally enough largely 'get old and fold'.

The thought of someone undertaking a rebuild to achieve a heavy steam hump shunting loco is attractive, as there is no such thing in preservation; but only provided that one of the professional outfits has work for it and thus can accommodate and maintain it in the longer term. As above quote on the 'ouch', it's usually not the acquisition cost, but the continuing maintenance that eventually kills you...

Meantime, the model is shaping up nicely...
Paul_sterling

Post by Paul_sterling »

Thanks Gents,

The S1 has now had a quick light coat of primer, and some filler added, the next coat will be the yellow primer filler to help better identify high spots, as well as filling low spots.

With the loco dismantled, I've taken a couple of pics of the bogie.

ImageIMG_20200102_130054[1] by Paul Sterling, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20200102_130047[1] by Paul Sterling, on Flickr

Thanks, Paul.