Hornby 2020 announcements

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

lu4472ke
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Hornby 2020 announcements

Post by lu4472ke »

A good year loco wise,

Some things that a lot of people have been asking to be made for a long time

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index ... uncements/
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Hornby 2020 announcements

Post by mick b »

A very cheap year for me!! the only one I havent got via Graeme Kings Bachmann resin conversions, is the original W1 , that will be a no brainer for me !! No idea why Hornby however, are producing a British Entererprise version as the plates were never carried.

Sadly the BR only A2/2 (it would appear) is only good for BR days , as I presume it will have the Cab with the cut off front.

Nothing at all in Coaches or wagons !!.
Paul_sterling
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Paul_sterling »

I am absolutely amazed by how much stock they are offering, its fantastic news.

I'm so please someone finally took up the 2MT (don't know why Bachmann haven't considering their Ivatts), and the Thompson Pacifics were a real surprise to me.

So I reckon it'll be a 2MT (to renumber to 78018 or 78019), a BR Green L/Cr A2/3, and a BR E/Cr W1 (I'd prefer late crest, but I can't recall if the W1 ever got it).

Paul.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

W1 60700 did get the later BR crest in 1957.

John
Paul_sterling

Post by Paul_sterling »

Thanks John.

Paul.
RayS
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by RayS »

Didn't see anything for ex-GE modellers at all - mind you it was so slow I only got to page 7!
teaky
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by teaky »

mick b wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:12 am ... the only one I havent got via Graeme Kings Bachmann resin conversions, is the original W1 , that will be a no brainer for me !! No idea why Hornby however, are producing a British Entererprise version as the plates were never carried.
I too have one of Graeme's rebuilt W1 kits but it's in the roundtuit. I paid a deposit on an original W1 earlier this afternoon. Always fancied one of these.

The British Enterprise version seems pointless but is, perhaps, aimed at snaring collectors who have to buy all of them.

No one appears to know what the "(promotional)" one is. There's nothing on the Hornby website or over on RMweb to help. Was the locomotive shown in public in (lighter) photographic grey with lots of polished bits for example? Does anyone know?
teaky
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by teaky »

Just found the answer. The "(promotional)" version is in apple green.

No need for me to amend my pre-order but I'd be interested to know if this is authentic.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

RayS wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:01 pm Didn't see anything for ex-GE modellers at all - mind you it was so slow I only got to page 7!
70013 'Oliver Cromwell' at a list price that would buy a decent portion of the real thing whilst the BR Standard 2MT was probably in evidence in some locations towards the end of steam. The W1 was seen in East Anglia at the LNER's various publicity exhibitions.

The Brush Type 2 D5627 in Green was allocated to Ipswich, then Stratford, March and on to Finsbury Park. Not sure when re-liveried into Rail Blue.

It's been noted that the Gardner of Norwich PO wagon is - even down to the running number - a copy of the one that Bure Valley Models commissioned from Bachmann last year, sales to support the BVR and - if selling well - to be the first of a planned series of local (East Anglian) PO wagon limited editions. Let's hope that Hornby does not foil that ambition by its blatant plagiarism... there were plenty of other Private Owners across East Anglia that could have been used.

Finally the (ex-Lima?) Siphon was an item of NPCS seen in East Anglia, captured in various photographs. For a bit of a laugh that gives me the opportunity to create an extract from a GW telegraphic message that could well have included ...SIPHON. MONSTER. PYTHON. :P

Edit: to add further information having worked through the announcement.
Last edited by 65447 on Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
teaky
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by teaky »

Further information, courtesy of Dan from Derails.

"... the LNER issued various promotional materials for the loco, things like cigarette packets and posters, which had the loco shown wearing an LNER Apple Green livery. Despite it not being prototypical, Hornby have decided to give this livery a go and that is what R3842 W1 Hush Hush (promotional) is going to be wearing."
Paul_sterling

Post by Paul_sterling »

65447 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:43 pm
RayS wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:01 pm Didn't see anything for ex-GE modellers at all - mind you it was so slow I only got to page 7!
70013 'Oliver Cromwell' at a list price that would buy a decent portion of the real thing whilst the BR Standard 2MT was probably in evidence in some locations towards the end of steam. The W1 was seen in East Anglia at the LNER's various publicity exhibitions.

It's been noted that the Gardner of Norwich PO wagon is - even down to the running number - a copy of the one that Bure Valley Models commissioned from Bachmann last year, sales to support the BVR and - if selling well - to be the first of a planned series of local (East Anglian) PO wagon limited editions. Let's hope that Hornby does not foil that ambition by its blatant plagiarism... there were plenty of other Private Owners across East Anglia that could have been used.
The price for 70013 is interesting, as last years IT57 offering (with Cromwell in it) was also highly priced, no doubt because up to that point, the Hornby NRM edition Cromwells, had been fetching eye watering money, but the IT57 sets have been going down in price, likely as demand wasn't as expected, last one I saw was at £220, and no doubt there are traders offering it for less.

Paul.
majormagna
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by majormagna »

It's a reasonable haul, but I'm still a little disappointed that there's no NER liveries for the Q6 or Toad B, or even new numbers for them in the already existing liveries.
Moors Bound
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Interesting!

I suspect that clutch of new LNER heavies represents some of the evidence of Mr Kohler's return to Margate. I wonder if Hornby might stretch themselves as far as fitting bogie wheels that have a realistic Doncaster look rather than the Honby-generic appearance, along with some fully three-dimensional valve gear parts rather than thin pieces of stamped sheet-metal? Will the different motion bracket faces for the A2/2 and A2/3 be provided, or the same style for both? You'll still have to do some honest model making work if you want and A2/1 of course :lol:

I'm highly unlikely to ever wear out my recently renewed mould for resin W1 cabs and fireboxes to suit A4 conversions now. I might even be tempted to get an original "galloping sausage" myself, if the terms ever seem acceptable.

Next products of Mr Kohler's influence? P2/2s wouldn't surprise me at all, eventually.....
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
James Harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by James Harrison »

A Thompson pacific of some colour would, if I had the money, be of interest just to complete my lineup of ECML heavyweights. But it's not a priority so... we shall see. The W1 looks good but only interests me in its original form (and I got one last year so Hornby's effort is sadly just too late).
lu4472ke
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by lu4472ke »

teaky wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:45 pm Further information, courtesy of Dan from Derails.

"... the LNER issued various promotional materials for the loco, things like cigarette packets and posters, which had the loco shown wearing an LNER Apple Green livery. Despite it not being prototypical, Hornby have decided to give this livery a go and that is what R3842 W1 Hush Hush (promotional) is going to be wearing."
That promotional will be interesting, but I'll go for Post rebuild Garter Blue personally