GE quint-art set

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

GE quint-art set

Post by Kestrel »

These look good, a GE quint-art set

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index ... lated-set/
Quicksilver95
NER J27 0-6-0

Re: GE quint-art set

Post by Quicksilver95 »

They certainly do. Isinglass has quietly been building up a range of diagrams. I am mid way through building one of his Dia 40 brake thirds and the kits are very well thought out and go together quickly and with minimal effort required (in the way that Kirk kits take a lot of work to make them fit). Visibility of the layers from the 3D printing process is generally very low, though I shall see how it looks upon painting. Looking forward to the Leeds Quint Diner which is on his "to do" list!
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

Do you mean the outer surface isn't smooth?
Quicksilver95
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Quicksilver95 »

I mean that it is smooth- often 3D printing can leave fairly visible print lines from its layering process. Thankfully the Isinglass kits do not seem to suffer from this. Under magnification perhaps, but certainly not obviously.
Paul_sterling
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Paul_sterling »

The raw surface finish from 3D printing largely depends on process and setup. FDM Machines (like I use) tend to show woodgrain effect on curved surfaces, which need to be filled and sanded. Processes like SLS and SLA are far less likely to show this, though almost any 3D print does need some additional post processing.

I'm looking at things like Multi Jet Fusion or DLP types in the future.

Paul.