H&BR/GCR Joint - Layout Potential?

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

GWRSwindon
LNER N2 0-6-2T

H&BR/GCR Joint - Layout Potential?

Post by GWRSwindon »

I've been trying to learn more about this line, but there doesn't seem to be much available. Does anyone know what kind of traffic and locos this line had?
PGBerrie
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Re: H&BR/GCR Joint - Layout Potential?

Post by PGBerrie »

There are about six pages in Railway Memories No. 12, The Hull and Barnsley Railway. Some nice structures like the lifting bridge over the Aire & Calder navigation, but the only locos shown are WDs. The book says that traffic was not as heavy as expected and for much of the time one of the two tracks was used for storing wagons.

Peter
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Also 'An Illustrated History of Hull's Railways' has some possible cross-over material (including a very good photo of an H & BR railway viaduct - with Moors' & Robson's advertising - apparently 1 of 45 bridges of various types on the H & BR in the Hull area).

Graeme Leary
kimballthurlow

Post by kimballthurlow »

GWRSwindon wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:45 pm I've been trying to learn more about this line, but there doesn't seem to be much available. Does anyone know what kind of traffic and locos this line had?
That might very much depend on the answers to these questions.
1. In which time span is your interest?
2. What geographical area or specific location is your interest?

At the western end connecting to the MS&LR there are many unusual trackage arrangements which could lead you to a layout design.
Do you have access to any of George Dow's books (eg. 3 volume Great Central) which show maps of some areas?
As for stock it would surprize me if there was anything other than standard H&BR or MS&LR/LNER/BR types of the period.

Kimball
exile
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by exile »

http://www.railmaponline.com/UKIEMap.php

Double click to expand - almost as many times as you like - or use the "+" sign . The GC/HBR joint line is the pink/magenta one starting north east of Doncaster and travelling South west.
GWRSwindon
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by GWRSwindon »

kimballthurlow wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:12 am
GWRSwindon wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:45 pm I've been trying to learn more about this line, but there doesn't seem to be much available. Does anyone know what kind of traffic and locos this line had?
That might very much depend on the answers to these questions.
1. In which time span is your interest?
2. What geographical area or specific location is your interest?

At the western end connecting to the MS&LR there are many unusual trackage arrangements which could lead you to a layout design.
Do you have access to any of George Dow's books (eg. 3 volume Great Central) which show maps of some areas?
As for stock it would surprize me if there was anything other than standard H&BR or MS&LR/LNER/BR types of the period.

Kimball
My interest is usually in the 1900-1914 range. I couldn't really choose a specific area, as I don't know enough about the line as of yet.

I'll need to check my copy of Dow, but I think he may have a track plan of some sort.
kimballthurlow

Post by kimballthurlow »

The link supplied by ''exile'' is amazingly productive. http://www.railmaponline.com/UKIEMap.php
By the way, the H&B and GC joint was not opened until 1916 (Dow Vol 3 pp210-211) running from Aire Junction southward to near Shireoaks.
There were many GCR junctions with the H&B proper well prior to that date.

On the Railmaponline zoom down to a detailed area of interest and right-click on a line. In many locations, a Google reference will pop up to guide you to available information. Here is one such https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hull_and_ ... nt_Railway

You can zoom down to street-level (line-level) detail which is very very comprehensive. I cannot imagine the time that was spent in compiling that.

Kimball