Bay of Evil prices

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Mercator II
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Bay of Evil prices

Post by Mercator II »

Just found this over on that well know auction site, almost spat my tea out at the asking price for this kit, if it sells, I might have to pull my kits out as I'm sitting on a gold mine!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mailcoach-MC ... e223ad0c50
oOo

Brian

Garage Hobbit!!
Modelling in 00 on my heritage line, very GCR inspired
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Bay of Evil prices

Post by mick b »

There's another one trying to sell MJT at about 50% over list price at the moment . :roll: :roll:

I messaged him pointing out the current MJT price, and he offered me to sell the same item at a price 20 pence under the current list price !! :lol: :lol: how kind of him !!

There is always someone on there selling utter rubbish, at daft prices.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Having built a Mailcoach tourist buffet car kit, which cost about £13 at the time I believe, and which required a lot more work than I imagined in order to build it into something that satisfied me, I'm quite happy to suggest that somebody would have to be utterly insane to pay £65 for such a kit.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Mercator II wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:42 pm Just found this over on that well know auction site, almost spat my tea out at the asking price for this kit, if it sells, I might have to pull my kits out as I'm sitting on a gold mine!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mailcoach-MC ... e223ad0c50
Probably acquired for a tenner originally.
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by 2392 »

Quite agree when you see some of the asking prices. Thing is though there are those out there that'll pay these "monopoly" money prices. There's a friend of a friend of mine who, if he sees something he wants would keep hitting the bid button...................... I'll take a look at the way the price is trending on an item and then set myself a limit [including the P&P] with say a £2.50-£5 excess but no more.
Bunkerbarge
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Bunkerbarge »

You see many things on Ebay at stupid starting prices. It doesn't mean to say it will sell.

The interesting thing is though that we are happy criticise the seller yet our response is to sell off our own stock in the same way. Doesn't that make us the same?
iainkirk
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by iainkirk »

Bonkers...
Perfection is impossible, however I may choose to serve perfection - Robert Fripp
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

iainkirk wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:23 pmBonkers...
and it's LMER as well
nutford
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by nutford »

Ah, but you are forgetting the bargains!

Recently bought a superbly built and painted LNER C7, DCC chipped, for £180-odd quid - around £100-odd less than the parts alone would cost.
And an LNER C2 again beautiful build, paint and runner, for a similar bargain.

Not to mention a lot which, having sold off what I didn't want, gave me 23 Hornby Dublo electric signals in (with a tweak or two) perfect working order, which will be adapted/detailed whatever needed for my layout at a cost of approximately 50p each. They are to scale, modelled I am sure on LNER upper-quadrant, and a look at the ones on the Hall Royd Junction layout -

http://www.hall-royd-junction.co.uk/Hal ... ut_40.html

- shows how easy they are to get to look (to my eye very reasonably) effective.
hallofgwr3
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by hallofgwr3 »

It is bonkers anywhere else and model trains are slow at the moment as are comics too, i've seen a slump in sales recently and things seem to be left to go cheap. Though the days when a 1980's hst was thought to be a modern version & fetching over the odds seem over