Lambton, Hetton and Joicey Colliery (R. Stephenson & Co.) No.5 build

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Paul_sterling
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: Lambton, Hetton and Joicey Colliery (R. Stephenson & Co.) No.5 build

Post by Paul_sterling »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:42 pm Thanks Paul, it's always interesting to compare costs of different methods, if those costs can actually be estimated of course...
No worries Graeme, I had not given much time to calculating it out hitherto.

The new monochrome printers are much quicker, and the Mono X could probably print two of these at a time, Maybe more.

Paul.
Paul_sterling

Post by Paul_sterling »

Hi All,

I took delivery of an Oxford Rail N7 yesterday. It was a replacement for one which had arrived the previous week and was defective (broken chimney, and steps jammed into the coupling rods, which then totalled the running gear as well).

I was interested to see how they had tackled the rear truck, with a nod towards ideas for future 0-6-2 locos, and it was interesting to see that they had done effectively what Hatfield_Shed had done on the 56XX, i.e. prevented the cylinder from pivoting, and gone for sideways only.

There is no perceptible sign or visual sign of the wheels being out of lien around curves, and the ride quality is very good, so definitely worth considering, particularly so for the errant Nu-cast N9 I'm trying to sort out, PITA that it is, which uses a triang 0-6-0 chassis and crudely attached rear truck.

Paul.
Paul_sterling

Post by Paul_sterling »

I've started producing No.5 shells now, and with a change in 3D printer, they are coming out really nicely.

ImageIMG_20210501_110541_resized_20210504_015402446 by Paul Sterling, on Flickr

the coal rail brethren of No.5, i.e. 10, 42 and 57, aren't quite so easy to replicate, as the rail is a difficult start, and not always a reliable print, but I have managed to make some of them too.

Though not wishing this to be a shameless plug, these are available if anyone is interested.

Thanks, Paul.