Oxford N7

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

michael94605
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Oxford N7

Post by michael94605 »

I saw this model demoed on Tom's Trains. I liked it and bought it from Hattons. The packageing was so tight I almost could not get it unboxed. When I did it didnt run slowly. There is no speed table set and i have to push it approx 30LF to get it to start. It only has one speed Fast. Im very disapointed in this Loco so far. What should I do about it? I live in California. I bought it from Hattons in UK. What is one to do?

Michael_h_mcmillen@yahoo.com
davidwest
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: Oxford N7

Post by davidwest »

Email Hattons or if possible call them.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Clearly you will need to let Hattons know you have a problem if this persists.

But first, a couple of questions.
'I have to push it approx 30LF to get it to start'. What does '30LF' mean?
Is the model you purchased fitted with a DCC decoder? And if so do you know what decoder?

I have a couple of these models, purchased DCC ready, so not decoder fitted. The mechanism will run fast on very little current from a DC controller, if my two samples are in any way typical. They need a DC controller with good small output regulation to obtain slow speed and smooth starts and stops. Once fitted with DCC decoders, (Lenz Standard, Zimo MX600 in mine) they proved ideally controllable.
D2100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by D2100 »

Contact Hattons as suggested. They're very good with returns
Ian Fleming

Now active on Facebook at 'The Clearing House'
Joseph P.Keegan
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Joseph P.Keegan »

Hi Michael

You mentioned that you have “ no speed table set & one speed fast “ so I assume that you bought the loco with a DCC decoder fitted ?

If this is the case , I would suggest that you reset the decoder or reset the following cv’s

CV2 = 3
CV3 = 8
CV4 = 6
CV5 = 64
CV6 = 22

Check CV56 for the BEMF motor setting as this is a cordless motor and set accordingly.

If you are running the loco on DC , I would suggest to check the instructions about what type of DC controller is compatible with the N7’s motor. As this is a cordless it does not run on feedback controllers.

What do you mean by “ push it approximately 30 LF “ ?

As regards the packing of the loco , Bachmann/Hornby packing is tighter than Oxford Rail and this packing is the norm on this side of the pond 🙂