Coronavirus

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Horsetan »

Autocar Publicity wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:13 pm.....Many insurance polices specifically exclude pandemics as a 'legitemate' cause for cancellation. I see a lot of litigation ahead. One insurance company I have spoken with said they would not pay out unless the FCO specifically advised against travel to the UK. Which is not quite the same as putting society in 'lock-down' or advising over 70s to self-isolate. And I still remember losing money on a holiday booked and paid for us to go to Yugoslavia, when the FCO did not advise against travel there, despite the fact the civil war/wars of succession of the early 90s had just broken out.......
That sort of confirms my own suspicion that the F&CO is mostly useless when you really need them :roll:

Elsewhere, I have plenty of solvent - unless it all evaporates out of the bottle - a razor saw and a jeweller's saw, plus much plastic to use them on. Current (ER, but non-LNER) experiment is trying to see if two awful old Lima Deltic bodies can be stretched and slimmed down into one decent scale-length one. Just because correct RTR Deltics are available from Bachmann (and eventually Accurascale) doesn't mean old-tech skills should be lost.
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Autocar Publicity »

Doubtless you have heard the alternative words of that acronym for them...

It could be a small silver lining. A chance to do some 'real' modelling? If a lock-down goes on for a while, I might get some done myself, though trees, buildings and narrow gauge locos rather than Deltics.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Autocar Publicity wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:27 pm Doubtless you have heard the alternative words of that acronym for them...
The function of the F&CO is to protect British interests, not British Citizens/subjects.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

And I believe it says as much in either your passport or the little pamphlet that comes with it. (or it used to)
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Horsetan wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:36 pm

Elsewhere, I have plenty of solvent - unless it all evaporates out of the bottle - a razor saw and a jeweller's saw, plus much plastic to use them on. Current (ER, but non-LNER) experiment is trying to see if two awful old Lima Deltic bodies can be stretched and slimmed down into one decent scale-length one. Just because correct RTR Deltics are available from Bachmann (and eventually Accurascale) doesn't mean old-tech skills should be lost.
If nothing else, that sort of model-tinkering at least stops us from hanging around on street corners being nasty to old ladies......
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:41 am
Horsetan wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:36 pm

If nothing else, that sort of model-tinkering at least stops us from hanging around on street corners being nasty to old ladies......
It's showing me that Lima put a great deal of effort and expense into making their Deltic wrong, when probably the same degree of effort could have made it accurate from the start.... :roll:
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I've similarly wondered in the past why certain manufacturers went to such lengths to produce something well-finished but wrong in many ways.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
60129 GUY MANNERING
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by 60129 GUY MANNERING »

Horsetan wrote :- If nothing else, that sort of model-tinkering at least stops us from hanging around on street corners being nasty to old ladies......
So is that what Finchley based Solicitors do if they aren't into Modelling ?
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Rather more what underemployed opticians in Grimsburg do to fill the time......
60129 GUY MANNERING
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by 60129 GUY MANNERING »

jwealleans wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:26 pm Rather more what underemployed opticians in Grimsburg do to fill the time......
:D :D :D
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:32 pm I've similarly wondered in the past why certain manufacturers went to such lengths to produce something well-finished but wrong in many ways.
Apparently Lima compromised their Deltic in order to be able to use their existing (and underlength) drive bogie, so they painstakingly made the bodyshell shorter, taking sections out of the centre, the engine rooms, the cabs and the noses! And for good measure, they also increased the overall width.

Bizarre.
60129 GUY MANNERING wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:56 pm Horsetan wrote :- If nothing else, that sort of model-tinkering at least stops us from hanging around on street corners being nasty to old ladies......
So is that what Finchley based Solicitors do if they aren't into Modelling ?
It wasn't me who wrote that!! :wink:
jwealleans wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:26 pm .... Grimsburg......
:lol: :lol: :lol:

To Hull and back
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

But that kind of warping (re Deltic) was common in the 1970s and 1980s. See the Minitrix steam engines for example. Never owned one but I hear they run well, but not the right dimensions...

I'm finding US cabooses are still like this, as are a lot of Microtrains box cars (think Peco custom printings: the livery generally existed somewhere but not necessarily on the car in question).

I actually owned a Lima Deltic as a kid - BR Blue KOYLI. It came in the container train set. It was fine for us kids, and BR Blue was still around. I don't remember any running issues despite the inevitable track on carpet!
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

richard wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:14 pm But that kind of warping (re Deltic) was common in the 1970s and 1980s. .....

.....I actually owned a Lima Deltic as a kid - BR Blue KOYLI....
Yes, it was. It's just that to try to make a half-decent one, you need the shells of two (mine are both D9006), plus a couple of saws and a lot of solvent and filler! :mrgreen:
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Amazed you have the patience! The Bachmann is far from perfect, and a similar investment of effort to improve from the superior starting point it represents would appeal to me far more. And it has a mechanism which is more than adequate. (I ran one on a large temporary test set built in a friend's barn with all the Bachmann mk1s we had available. With 35 on and still able to realistically creep into motion, and reach scale progress for 100mph we concluded it was 'good enough' on the mechanism front.)
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

'ang on lads, I got an idea.....errm....errm....
Attachments
FB_IMG_1584555559774.jpg