Vernon's Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Vernon's Workbench

Post by notascoobie »

I've put bits and pieces of mine on here before but not under a generic title. Although I'm quite busy I doubt this thread will move along too quickly.....

First up, I'm on with a Tourist Stock Twin Third in 7mm scale. It's from a Newbold kit and has gone together really well. The only problem I had was inducing the tumble home. I'm a fan of the "broomstick method" and I had to use enormous force to get the curve in there.

Now I'm down to detailing. Body protection strips, buffer housings, lamp brackets etc.

Now I have a question for our resident experts were there "normal" jumper cables between the 2 carriages of the set or were they connected at buffer beam level or something like that? The nature of the beasts means the photos tend to be oblique and you can't see. Also, the Isinglass drawing sheds no light. Any help/advice much appreciated. Thanks.

Vernon
Attachments
2020-03-16 14.02.35.jpg
2020-03-16 14.02.10.jpg
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Re: Vernon's Workbench

Post by greenglade »

looking good Vernon..:)

Pete
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

I forgot to mention it's got Kemilway bogies. Abslutely beautifully designed but they are rather complex and take forever to build.

Vernon
Attachments
2020-03-16 14.09.34.jpg
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

notascoobie wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:03 pm.... The only problem I had was inducing the tumble home. I'm a fan of the "broomstick method" and I had to use enormous force to get the curve in there....
Do you not have a rolling mill :?:
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

greenglade wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:10 pm looking good Vernon..:)

Pete
Thanks Pete 👍
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

[/quote]
Do you not have a rolling mill :?:
[/quote]

Hi Ivan.

I have rolling bars that will do 7mm loco boilers but they're not big enough for a carriage side. It's the first time I've struggled using my length of wooden curtain rail. I got there but it was hard work.

V
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

notascoobie wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:03 pm

Now I have a question for our resident experts were there "normal" jumper cables between the 2 carriages of the set or were they connected at buffer beam level or something like that? The nature of the beasts means the photos tend to be oblique and you can't see. Also, the Isinglass drawing sheds no light. Any help/advice much appreciated. Thanks.
Vernon I have found this in an excursion circular for the GN Section in early 1932, not sure it quite answers your query:
LNER Through lighting of Twins.jpg
John
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

notascoobie wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:03 pm ...were there "normal" jumper cables between the 2 carriages of the set or were they connected at buffer beam level or something like that? ...
Annoyingly, there's a clear photo in Harris' book showing a Coronation articulated pair at assembly, and it affords no clue whatsover!

I would apply reason to this. Brake pipes and heating terminated on bufferbeams. I would expect special short pipes were provided between articulated vehicles as the 'bufferbeam' was still present above the articulating bogie.
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

Thank you very much for the observations and the photo. I've not applied any intra-setjumper cables yet. I'm still hoping there's a definitive photo somewhere.

Vernon
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Good luck. Considering that the Quad Arts survived to 1966, there must be living railwaymen who can provide reliable information on this matter. Definitely worth sharing here if anything 'surfaces'.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Vernon.
I have found a drawing which shows the connections on the triplet restaurant cars.
I assume this will be a standard arrangement. My new laptop will not accept my version of photoshop, so I will post when I get my old laptop working as the jpg is too large to post.
The connections are either side of the ends, one each side about half way up with cables running down to the sole bar through another box at low level.
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

Hi Dave,

I'd love to see the drawing. I'll look forward to you posting it. Thanks.

Vernon
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

They look rather nice Vernon, when I get around to mine I will hopefully remember to note the tumblehome/turn-under difficulties.

I bought mine second hand of Dave Sweetland (he designed them for Newbold) and they came with some quite detailed cast bogies - or at least I thought so at the time but I haven't had them out of the box for a couple of years or so.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Dave wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:13 pm Vernon.
I have found a drawing which shows the connections on the triplet restaurant cars.
I assume this will be a standard arrangement. My new laptop will not accept my version of photoshop, so I will post when I get my old laptop working as the jpg is too large to post.
The connections are either side of the ends, one each side about half way up with cables running down to the sole bar through another box at low level.
Hi Dave,

Which version of the Triplet is that?

I have sent Vernon a photo of electrical connections between carriages in a Quad set, built in 1924. Therefore well before through lighting was a standard fitting.

I know logic and the LNER is a dangerous thing to count on, but surely the cables and sockets between electrically lit articulated stock would have formed the basis of a design for through lighting?

The 1924 cabling does not appear very different to the later set-up. In 4mm at least it would not be. I am sure 7mm requires that bit more information.

John
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

Robpulham wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:57 pm They look rather nice Vernon, when I get around to mine I will hopefully remember to note the tumblehome/turn-under difficulties.

I bought mine second hand of Dave Sweetland (he designed them for Newbold) and they came with some quite detailed cast bogies - or at least I thought so at the time but I haven't had them out of the box for a couple of years or so.
Thanks for the kind wor
ds Rob. I've got another twin 3rd to build plus a brake third and a buffet car. I reckon a non corridor teak break will complete a nice set for an Atlantic or D2 to haul.

I got mine second-hand off a guy in France who was downsizing. He'd got in Kemilway bogies for the twins and Sidelines bogies for the others. Plus some beautiful heavy wheelsets and Isinglass drawings for all. All I need to do is apply elbow grease and solder!

This lock down means plenty of modelling time!

Regards,

Vernon