3.5” A3 Hyperion

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Tim Watson
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

3.5” A3 Hyperion

Post by Tim Watson »

A few weeks ago I posted a query regarding what A3 this loco would best represent; certainly not Papyrus.

Consensus from the learned came down to one of the last batch of A3s and of these, I have chosen 2502 ‘Hyperion’ to fit most aspects of the model’s condition; name plates are now on order. It rather elegantly graces a window sill at home.

The engine is very well made / engineered and should run well at the NLSME tracks at Colney Heath (as soon as life becomes more normal). However, it has quite a lot of features that can be improved, especially around the cab area. This is about 4mm too tall, originally because the manifold and fittings were too high. It’s also a bit wide and the firebox a bit narrow, but that may be trickier to modify. The manifold has now been lowered and so some surgery will be made to the bottom of the cab, amongst other things. There will be many other area where I think the engine can be improved and detailed: it is a bit plain.

Should provide a bit of distraction in these strange times: some show track and a rolling road is a priority.
Tim
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Re: 3.5” A3 Hyperion

Post by Horsetan »

The return cranks will need to lean forwards rather than back.

The rest of it's nice, though. I'd never have enough room for something that size.
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

Not if it’s to work. It has slide valves with opposite admission compared to the real thing.

Tim
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Tim Watson wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:18 am Not if it’s to work. It has slide valves with opposite admission compared to the real thing. ..
Any reason it was built that way?
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

Slide valves are much simpler to use than piston valves; they lift off the valve face if there is any problem.

Tim
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Where did that appear from, it wasn't there when I last visited! Jealous and highly envious of your latest loco! 8)

Going on what you consider detailing in 2mm scale, I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do with a 3.5" gauge A3! :D
Steve
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

It appeared a few days after you were over Steve.

Papyrus was made in 2009 and I purchased it from the Steam Workshop. If I can improve the above-running plate details a fraction of what Peter is doing with his stunning Flying Scotsman, I will be well pleased. It will basically be fitted with details such as the oilers, Wakefield lubricators sanding linkages, vac pipes etc. Hyperion will get a re-paint, starting with the cab, of course, when it is lowered and re-numbered. The drain cock linkage fizzles out just in front of the ash pan, so some means of activating that will be useful. The streamlined dome cover should also be a banjo, but I’m not sure there is enough meat in the casting to be modified to this.

Tim
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Tim Watson wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:47 pm ... some show track and a rolling road is a priority.
And then a couple of BG's to run behind it... slope, slippery...

(I have in mind a lovely pic of an A3 circa 1950, out on a country section of the ECML 'somewhere' in evening sunshine with a couple of BG's and a BZ; rather romantic.)
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

Hi Tim

She does look good doesn't she...:) I look forward to seeing your progress in making this fine model even better.
BTW, if changing the cab or any parts for that matter you could ask Malcolm (model engineers Laser) to supply Doncaster laser cut parts but scaled to 3 1/2 gauge. If you do go that route I can supply digital drawings to help, they are of course dimensioned for 5" but simple enough to scale down to 3 1/2.

Cheers

Pete
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

Thanks for the comments Pete. I’ve been in touch with Malcolm and he has just supplied a rolling road kit for testing (and teaching me how to run her). He sent me his drawings for the cab components which I have been checking against Papyrus (as it is at the moment).

I am awaiting some BA box spanners and then I’ll remove the cab. The workbench has been cleared, sanded and sealed for the new project:

I think the height error is mainly at the bottom and so it could be shortened by the required amount; narrowing it by a 1/6” each side would also make a difference bringing it more into line with wide firebox. The engine is generally a bit wide over the running plate, but acceptably so. The cab roof slide is beautifully made, but quite a way above the correct rain strip position: I might keep it, file off the current rain strip and put a thin roof cover over the lower third with the strip correctly positioned nearer the bottom. The ventilator and spectacle plate windows could be improved with the laser cut components from Malcolm. I would greatly appreciate a drawing of the washout plug on the cab side and the roof ventilators if you have them Peter.

After I am happy with the running, I’ll tidy up the pipe work in the cab, especially the S shaped injector feed. This was modified when the manifold was lowered by the Steam Workshop chaps. Good view of the grate in this picture. It removes in three pieces, through the bottom and is incredibly fiddly. Just as well I’m used to working in small spaces.

I’ve been working on the display track board today. Unfortunately, the only chairs available seem to be two bolt / screw type - from another company...

Tim
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

Hi Tim

Here's a picture of the washout plug that I took at York 2016...

Regarding drawings for ventilator and cab washout plug, if you PM me your e-mail address I'll send you the sheet that covers most of the cab including the two items you asked for.

Cheers

Pete
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

A really interesting project Tim, be interesting to see how you cope with items so big!!!!!!!!!!

Look forward to seeing the progress

Take care
Paul
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Perhaps some minifying glasses, to make all of the parts look incredibly small, would make the task more familiar?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

Papyrus now looks the part on some proper track.

For comparison, we have Papyrus from Copenhagen Fields on the running plate.

The dome on the model is incorrect for Papyrus, indeed any pre-war A3,  as it is of the streamlined type. 

As this engine is going to become Hyperion, I sourced a pre-war, proper banjo dome casting from Blackgates. 

Inside this lump of gunmetal was the correct shape trying to get out.

A little BLack and Decker 1/2” belt sander proved to be useful for fettling the casting, which has some interesting geometry interacting with the cone of the boiler.  Making it fit was tricky as I didn’t want to cause more damage to the paint than was necessary - it will be touched-in for the time being.  I really much prefer the appearance of this dome, I think it has an elegance about it.

Tim
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

The dome has now been painted (only brush finished) and fitted.  The engine will eventually be completely re-sprayed when I have finished modifications to it and so I’ll be able to improve the fit at that time.  
I made up the rolling road yesterday (from the Model Engineers Laser).  A very substantial piece of kit.  The engine was lined up on it in the kitchen as that is closest to where it lives at the moment.  I will have to get a lifting  trolley to shift her as her weight is not trivial. 
I now need to make some bits and pieces to enable her to steam - shovel, poker, blower chimney adaptor etc. 

Tim