3.5” A3 Hyperion

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: 3.5” A3 Hyperion

Post by Atso »

Great work on the dome Tim. For brush work, it is very very good.
Steve
Tim Watson
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Tim Watson »

The cab on the A3 has been lowered by 3/16” and the firebox widened by the same amount on each side.  I think she now sits like an A3 at the back, especially when compared with the original condition which was much too lofty and skinny on the firebox. 

Holes have been made for the missing washout plugs and mud hole doors at the bottom of the boiler.  The ash pan should have some large brackets on either side of it, front and middle.  The roof ventilator will be replaced by a more accurate representation at half the height and the rain strips moved to the correct position.  Further detailing at the cab end e.g. spectacle windows, will wait until this is stripped to bare metal for repainting and numbering.   A lot of lining out is to be reinstated as a temporary trial of techniques before that. 

She fits the work bench well and also has the advantage of being easily lifted, turned over and generally manoeuvred for working on.  Quite nice to be able to work on something with just reading glasses. 

Tim
nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

You've made what was probably quite a tricky job sound like no bother at all. The small adjustment in height and width of cab and firebox cladding have made a obvious difference to it's character. It gained the proper sleek appearance, looks lovely.

Paul
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Great work Tim, it really does alter the look of the back end - much nicer now. How do you intend to fabricate the washout plugs/mud hold doors?
Steve
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

Thanks for the comments. When I got the engine, it was with the intention of making it better aesthetically: mechanically it is is already good. Fortunately I have a drawing of the mud hole bridge from Peter (building the 5” FS) and these can be cut out from thick brass, with a suitable bolt and nut to clamp up, for the lowest at the front. The two plugs half way up the firebox sides should be mud holes and they may be adaptable - I don’t want to disturb the paintwork on the boiler at this stage, as it will be a while before it is repainted. The washout plugs at the top are not quite correct, but will stay as is. The washout plug in the cab sides will be a simple turning, with the plug filed square.

Tim
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

The lining out around the cab and firebox on the A3 has progressed quite quickly using an ‘easi-LINER’ pen. These are tube capillary flow-type pens that take un-thinned gloss enamel paints. In sizes 0.25, 0.5, 0.75 and 1.00 mm they are easily fine enough for a 3/4” scale model.  They work well in this size and are much quicker and more versatile to use than a bow pen over the distances to be covered.  

The washout plugs were first lined out freehand in white: these can be quite thick lines as the black will be use to reduce the line thickness. In fact, of course, the white lines are grey as this produces a much less prominent line. 

The pen was used to follow suitable edges to back fill the black lines and the set can use an edge follower where appropriate.

The extra lining has really made the back of the engine much busier. The finish is OK, but is hampered by the relatively rough paint work beneath, especially where I have made the modifications to the body work.  On final assembly, I will make some adjustments to the line weight and evenness.   I will probably also make greater use of templates when I do the definitive re-paint.  

The last remaining lining will be the boiler band immediately in front of the cab.  This will actually be made as two separate pieces, joined with a nut and bolt at the top: you can’t do that in 2mm scale!

Tim
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

The last boiler band was made from 8 thou brass strip, painted with Plastikote gloss black. This is actually a good heat resistant paint but also flexible.  A 12BA clearance hole was drilled at one end and it was then both taped down and a 0.5mm line drawn on one side.  

Once the paint was hardened the end with the hole was bent at 90 degrees and the other end formed into a hook to engage with the firebox cleading at the  bottom.

At the top, the 12BA nut and bolt tightened the band onto the firebox - 12BA is the biggest screw size I use in 2mm scale...

The end result looks a lot tidier. 

The engine and tender line up correctly now, do you think it looks more like an A3 now?

Tim
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

Great Work again Tim and you can certainly work in the larger scale!!!

Since we do not ever see the prototype at that angle, it certainly highlights things. It gives the appearance of the cab roof
dipping back at the rear toward the tender, but I am sure that is only a perspective point, not fact.
Now you need the UV guard to ensure that the paint does not fade too much in the window.

Thanks again for sharing

Paul
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

The A3 had a run, for the first time at Colney Heath, the track of the NLSME on Friday.
She went well.
https://youtu.be/rB10uJOV64g
https://youtu.be/bNE1tOV2Olc
I will probably turn my attention to the cab roof next.

Tim