LNER D21 / NER R1 00 gauge Drawing

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

SAD Burdett
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

LNER D21 / NER R1 00 gauge Drawing

Post by SAD Burdett »

Evening gents,
Is anybody aware of a decent drawing or for the D21

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

SAD :(
Modelling 4mm finescale 00. LNER GCR GNR.
If anyone in Norwich area wants to visit and natter you are very welcome, just make contact.
http://salmonpastures.blogspot.co.uk
tomburnham
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Re: LNER D21 / NER R1 00 gauge Drawing

Post by tomburnham »

This is a copy of the General Arrangement drawing of the NER Class R1 published in the The Locomotive on 15 April 1909 and should be of some help.

Tom.
NER-Class-R1.jpg
Member of the North Eastern Railway Association Archive Team

https://ner.org.uk/
SAD Burdett
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by SAD Burdett »

Tom that is absolutely wonderful.
Better than I could have hope for.
I am hoping to breath some new life into a very battered old Gem kit for a D21.
Progress will be posted on here.
This is as far as I have got after attacking it with some nitromors this afternoon.
There is also a photo of it as acquired,,,, poor old thing!!!
D20 as bought.jpg
D21.2.jpg
D20 chassis.jpg
If anyone in Norwich area wants to visit and natter you are very welcome, just make contact.
SAD Burdett
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by SAD Burdett »

A good day on the D21 front,,,, the body castings are now in a much cleaner condition,,,
D21 cleaner.jpg
After a play with my new chassis jig I have got some movement in the chassis as well,,,
D21 jig (2).jpg
D21 LIFE (3).jpg

it certainly makes things easier and having looked at the drawing last night I have decided to attach some dummy springing to the frames in an aim to make it look more realistic.
Was surprised to see one axle has leaf springs and the other coils.

tomburnham
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by tomburnham »

Looking good so far SAD.
This was one of the first models I made, some fifty years ago now! If I recall correctly I replaced the smokebox door, chimney and dome with some from the NuCast range and also modified the safety valve cover. While you have it disassembled it may worthwhile seaking out replacements of anything that doesn't look up to standard from the likes of Dave Bradwell etc. I'm firmly in the 0 gauge camp these days but others on here should be able to advise you on who to contact for suitable parts. I have an extensive collection of photographs of North Eastern locos and will have a look to see what I have of the Class R1.
Tom.
Last edited by tomburnham on Fri May 22, 2020 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SAD Burdett
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by SAD Burdett »

Good morning Tom,
Fully agree with your comments on the boiler fittings.
To me they seem the wrong shape and too small,,, but I am no NER expert.
Quite a long way to go before these replacements become an issue.

Once again many thanks for your drawing it has already made a massive difference.

tomburnham
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by tomburnham »

Hi SAD :(

The chimney of the Class R1 was quite squat being only 2' 3 1/4" high. The same design was used on the Class V (C6), Class T3 (Q7) without windjabber and the Class S3 (B16) but note that the replacement chimneys used by the LNER and BR were shorter. The NER domes from these classes would also be suitable. London Road models do the former Steve Barnfield kit for the Class S3/B16 and may be able to supply castings. Arthur Kimber of NorthEastern Kits was planning on introducing kits for the Class V and T3 and will supply castings but I don't know what's the latest state of play with them.
NORTHEASTERN KITS Price List.pdf
(184.6 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
Tom.

SAD Burdett
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by SAD Burdett »

Once again Tom many thanks for the info.
I have had another good day getting lathered on the D21 white metal and have made some solid progress.

The chassis now has some semblance of brakes,, although I notice one of the leaf units is out of line with the other,,,, tomorrow,,,,
D21 brakes.jpg
Removed all the boiler bands and soldered the slightly different length boiler halves together and added an improved smokebox, cleaned up the cab side/splasher units and got them fitted.
D21 boiler fill.jpg
D21 smokebox.jpg
Started disguising the horrible seams on the tender joints,,, if the thin beading rails disappear in the process I will replace them with brass ones,,, but those tender joints were very definitely 1970's kit style!!!
D21 tender.jpg
The chassis / body fixings have been sorted and I managed to dispose of the original 2 x 6BA nuts and bolts in the process!!!

Thankfully it is starting to look like a D21 again,,, a handsome beast,,, and that is from an avid GC fan!!

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I know some D21s got cast-off GNR tenders late in their lives when their original tenders were required for newly built locos, but what's that tender behind the GEM D21 supposed to be? Rounded rear edges to the tanks like a GNR Ivatt tender, but with angle iron under the edges of the soleplate and a frame profile something like an NER tender, plus inset front sidesheet extensions a bit like a GCR tender. Am I missing something obvious?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
SAD Burdett
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by SAD Burdett »

Your missing nothing Graeme,,,, in my eye's its a classic 1970 Gem hybrid kit,,, "near enough for skiffle",, was a popular phrase back in the day!!!

I have looked at the GNR tender swap scenario and it all happened too late for my mid 30's,, typical,,, I can't do what I want with an Atlantic livery and now I can't put a reasonable tender behind this one either,,,, I have been ogling various D21 tender photo's to see if I can improve the situation,, but it may well end up as RCTS fodder!!!!
I have got better things to do than scratch build a NER tender,,, a used Q6 tender would be a useful start,,, did the Great Magazine thing a few years ago generate any NER types that I can modify/canabalise???

What started out as a "quick kit bash" to test my new soldering iron is rapidly turning into another major/mammoth project!!!
But it's great fun taking a piece or "real tat" by the scruff of the neck and giving it a second chance!!!

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Maybe.....you could make the tender more nearly NER-like by loading up the rear tank edges with low-melt then filing them square, cutting off those inset sidesheet extensions at the front and soldering them back on flush, squaring-off the lower frame corners with thin sheet brass overlays carrying steps, and so on, and on, and on....
Or perhaps an accurate NER tender kit from Arthur Kimber's range, if one can be had?

Those "tribute" magazine models never went near anything in the North Eastern stable. I don't think there was anything RTR that they could copy at the time, save for a J72.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Pebbles
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Pebbles »

Mr Kimber doesn't currently produce a 4125gal non-self trimming tender, although I'm sure that he will when his C6 arrives. Dave Bradwell does a suitable tender, but at a cost. Very strangely the tank/coal areas of a DJH D20 tender, (that were never suitable for a D20 - or indeed very little else) could be a source of parts that could be adapted.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Ah....I assumed foolishly that as my quite old list of Arthur's kits showed the 4125 gal tender as "pending" it might well be a reality by now. Although it wouldn't be right, perhaps a 3940 gallon tender would be "less wrong" than the GEM offering, with the builder using his discretion on the question of whether to dress it up to look more like the version it should have been?

SAD Burdett
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by SAD Burdett »

Discretion is my middle name!!!
Have just had it sitting alongside the tender for the Q7 which is about to go into service and I don't see many problems converting Mr Gem's offering to the more likely to be accurate DJH version,,, am assuming the D21 and Q7 had the same tenders as my "green bible" for the Q7 is awol at the moment,,, probably in one of the few boxes we haven't unpacked yet.
I'll ponder it a while and then probably come up with the wrong decision.

ArthurK
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by ArthurK »

SAD Burdett wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 4:31 pm Discretion is my middle name!!!
Have just had it sitting alongside the tender for the Q7 which is about to go into service and I don't see many problems converting Mr Gem's offering to the more likely to be accurate DJH version,,, am assuming the D21 and Q7 had the same tenders as my "green bible" for the Q7 is awol at the moment,,, probably in one of the few boxes we haven't unpacked yet.
I'll ponder it a while and then probably come up with the wrong decision.

The tenders behind the D21s were quite different from the Q7. Yes, they were both held 4125 gallons of water but this was simply an enlarged version of the 3940 gallon non-self trimming type. The sides were heightened and widened. The frames used the D shaped slots.
There are a number of compromises on the GEM kit, mainly due the use of their standard "L1" chassis.

ArthurK