Howlden 6 wheelers

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Howlden 6 wheelers

Post by Woodcock29 »

I have a question concerning the arrangement of gas lamps/ventilators over centrally located toilets on Howlden coaches.

On Bill Bedford's Dia 148 composite and Mike Trice's Dia 84 first there are centrally located gas lamps and a ventilator either side. Diagrams (GNRS publications) indicate that the two toilets were separated by a wall at an angle but this appears to go directly below what would be the centrally located gas lamp - so does this imply that the wall didn't reach to the ceiling and maybe the one centrally located gas lamp was shared by both toilets?

I've also seen a model of a brass Dia 148 where there have been two gas lamp tops fitted, one over each of the toilets - which seems to make more sense to me.

Does anyone have any further knowledge on these arrangements?

Andrew
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Howlden 6 wheelers

Post by jwealleans »

I've just answered this on RMWeb: Andrew,

have a look at the thread on the 1938 train. There's an aerial photo of the train which clearly shows the two toilet Firsts with a central gas lamp above the lavatories. The partition ran on a slight diagonal between the compartments - there's no reason the lamp couldn't be set into the partition such that it illuminated both while still maintaining privacy?

The diagram book is completely unhelpful and doesn't show roof fittings at all.
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Re: Howlden 6 wheelers

Post by Woodcock29 »

Thank Jonathan
Andrew