OO concrete signal posts

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Ocean Swell
NBR J36 0-6-0

OO concrete signal posts

Post by Ocean Swell »

Hi,

I am looking to get some OO LNER concrete signal posts (the ones with the holes in them). I have had a look at the MSE ex GNR ones and they seem a bit chunky in model form compared to the prototype examples that I have been looking at on the ex-GER lines in the 50's.

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/signals/s4_ke3/

I noticed at 1:23 and 11:34 on this youtube clip of Thurston, pretty much exactly what I am looking for. I know some people on here were involved in that layout and I was wondering if anyone could let me know if they are the MSE model, scratchbuilt or another brand?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc_Frt9EkBI

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Bill
Mickey
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Re: OO concrete signal posts

Post by Mickey »

Ocean Swell wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:37 am I am looking to get some OO LNER concrete signal posts (the ones with the holes in them).
If you want exact detail with regards to concrete signal posts in reality two different types of 'holes' were in existence one was the GNR pattern concrete post and the other was the LNER pattern concrete post but I can't recall which was which?. One type had a 'teardrop' shape hole and the other type had 'two straight sides with a round top and a round bottom' shape of hole also it wasn't uncommon for some concrete signal posts to be painted 'white' at some locations rather than leave them in the 'natural' sandy yellow/brown concrete colour.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by LNER4479 »

Ocean Swell wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:37 am Hi,

I am looking to get some OO LNER concrete signal posts (the ones with the holes in them). I have had a look at the MSE ex GNR ones and they seem a bit chunky in model form compared to the prototype examples that I have been looking at on the ex-GER lines in the 50's.

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/signals/s4_ke3/

I noticed at 1:23 and 11:34 on this youtube clip of Thurston, pretty much exactly what I am looking for. I know some people on here were involved in that layout and I was wondering if anyone could let me know if they are the MSE model, scratchbuilt or another brand?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc_Frt9EkBI

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Bill
Hi Bill,

If it helps at all, I have built two signals using the MSE (Wizard) concrete post for Grantham, as shown.

You're probably right in that it is more of the nature of a thicker junction base post than a single, tall / slim signal post. The second signal has an element of fantasy about it but is based on the up main bracket signal that existed at Grantham South box. For the dolls, I simple drilled holes and elongated them slightly in plain (wooden) white metal dolls from the same range.

Cheers,

Graham
Attachments
IMG_8339.JPG
DSC05032_LR.jpg
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

Bill
I've got one of the MSE concrete posts and a couple more in an order on the way hopefully. If you're down this way at call in and have a look now we're relaxing restrictions.
Andrew
Ocean Swell
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Ocean Swell »

Mickey wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:33 am One type had a 'teardrop' shape hole and the other type had 'two straight sides with a round top and a round bottom' shape of hole also it wasn't uncommon for some concrete signal posts to be painted 'white' at some locations rather than leave them in the 'natural' sandy yellow/brown concrete colour
Thanks for that information, from the photos I have been looking at, the ones I am looking for have the strait sided holes and most in my area of interest appear to be natural concrete colour.
LNER4479 wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:10 am You're probably right in that it is more of the nature of a thicker junction base post than a single, tall / slim signal post. The second signal has an element of fantasy about it but is based on the up main bracket signal that existed at Grantham South box. For the dolls, I simple drilled holes and elongated them slightly in plain (wooden) white metal dolls from the same range
Yes, I think you are right in regard to the thickness of the junction signal posts. The couple I have been looking at in photos of are the taller slim ones. I will keep in mind the option of drilling some out, I am also thinking of a using them as a simple project to learn to use 3D printing. Very nice photos of your signals and what they look like in situ.
Woodcock29 wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:05 pm I've got one of the MSE concrete posts and a couple more in an order on the way hopefully. If you're down this way at call in and have a look now we're relaxing restrictions.
No worries Andrew, now that I can travel again I am all over the state catching up on work. I might be able to organise something for next month, by then I should have a couple of different Isinglass coach kits for you to have a look at also.

Cheers

Bill
Woodcock29

Post by Woodcock29 »

Hi Bill
Look forward to your visit.
I have two of the Isinglass kits and have been working with Andy Edgson on some improvements to those two to increase their accuracy/level of detail - you may have seen the thread I started on this subject.
Andrew
hallofgwr3
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by hallofgwr3 »

Anyone ever tried ratio types and turning them into working signals? The lattice type looks flimsey
Woodcock29

Post by Woodcock29 »

Ratio kits are too fragile in my view. I tried making them work 45 years ago or so but the parts with the holes where the wires fit nearly always broke in the end. Even if you replace those with brass parts the lattice posts are very fragile. The ones I made just ended up being static scenic items. I've still got all the parts somewhere as I don't tend to throw anything out.

Bill - I can give you an MSE concrete post to play with when you come over as I've got spare ones now.

Andrew
Ocean Swell
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Ocean Swell »

Woodcock29 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:38 am Bill - I can give you an MSE concrete post to play with when you come over as I've got spare ones now.
Cheers, Andrew it will be interesting to see what the signal looks like in place. I have been scouring through photos of my main area of interest looking at signals and there is a mixture of types but the tall thin concrete ones seem the most common (also some that have a tapered ladder like construction).
borgrail
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by borgrail »

Good Afternoon,
I don't normally make concrete post signals but on occasion I do - the last few have been GWR in 7mm. I didn't use an MSE post a) they don't do them in 7mm b) not slender enough and c) working lights were required. As I use posts from etched brass in most scales, it was relatively easy to make the holes.

One thing though, as most posts were unpainted and if they were soon lost it, I am open to suggestion on the best concrete colour. I have seen and tried various suggestions but am not totally convinced by any of them.