Open Carriage Truck load markings?

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Open Carriage Truck load markings?

Post by Chas Levin »

Hello, can anyone please tell me a typical loading figure in tons for the side of an Open Carriage Truck? Its actually for a GNR one but the figure for an LNER, NER or similar OCT could probably apply. I can't find any info or pictures in either version of Peter Tatlow's LNER / GN wagons books or via google that show this figure. I can find - on this forum - a nice photo of the closed (CCT) version in GNR livery which says LOAD 4 TONS - do people think this would have been the same for the open version?

Thanks on advance for any help,

Chas
Chas
Darryl Tooley
NBR J36 0-6-0

Re: Open Carriage Truck load markings?

Post by Darryl Tooley »

OCTs were non-passenger coaching stock, which is why you won't find them in Peter Tatlow's wagon books. The GNR OCTs are however dealt with in Historic Carriage Drawings by Nick Campling (Pendragon, 1997). The 18'10" (over body) ones were 4 tons, the 21-footers, 6 tons.

D
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

Thanks Darryl! I completely missed the fact that they were NPCS so it didn't occur to me to look elsewhere. I do have Volume three of Peter Tatlow's 'Historic Carriage Drawings' though and that covers NPCS so I just took a look, but the edition I have (2000) doesn't include any GN OCT's so I'm very grateful to you for this info :D .
Chas
Darryl Tooley
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Darryl Tooley »

Chas

I should have said, in case it isn't clear, that the Nick Campling book was Historic Carriage Drawings Vol 1.

D
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

Aha - thanks for the clarification! Clearly a volume I need to get... :wink:
Chas
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Here you go !!
IMG_1779.JPG
IMG_1780.JPG
IMG_1781.JPG
IMG_1782.JPG
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

IMG_1783.JPG
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

Thanks Mick - looks like I need to re-do the other markings too :shock:
Chas
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

If you don't have the yellow book, you should look for a copy. It's an essential starting point for building LNER and constituent carriages and NPCCS.

The blue book is equally useful.
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

Thanks Jonathan - I have the blue one, now realise I need the yellow one too :D .

Birthday coming up in less than a month... :wink:
Last edited by Chas Levin on Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chas
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

One further question: the pictures you posted Mick are for the 18'10" version and have a Tare weight marked of 6.6.3 - does the book also give the Tare weight for the 21' vehicle please?
If not, can anyone advise how to calculate / estimate it please? The numbers will be all but unreadable without magnification on the finished vehicle, so I'd be happy to get away with something like adding another couple of tons to the first '6' but it would be nice to have it correct :)
Chas
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

Just occurs to me: increasing the vehicle length from 18'10" to 21' represents an increase in length of a fraction over 10% (the smaller vehicle is actually 89.7% the length of the larger one). Should that mean that 10% could be added to the tare weight of the smaller vehicle to give the weight of the larger one, or is that not valid? For instance, the increase in length might be achieved by a lighter material such as wood, leaving a similar amount of metalwork still in use...

Still, if that calculation does work, all I have to do then is work out a 10% increase in tons, hundredweights and quarters, which will be a refreshing change from my usual calculations :D
Chas
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

Ha - problem solved: the D&S kit's own instructions show the vehicle in later LNER livery and although all the info on weights etc is shown very small, all marked on the righthand end of the wide, you can just make out 6-10-0: hooray :D

Sorry to have asked so many questions and then answered this one myself, just keen to progress with the kit :) .
Chas
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

And to add to my embarrassment (and for the information of anyone else researching GN OCTs) they are also featured in the GNRS Howlden NPCS book which is on my shelf, but as I hadn't realised they were NPCS... :roll: The book covers Diagrams 296 to 376, so my 21' Diagram 375 just squeezes in at the end.
One small point of interest though: the 'GNR' lettering and running number in the drawings Mick kindly uploaded from Nick Campling's book are shown as taking up pretty much the whole height of one board, so I had been concerned that the ones I used were a little too small:
GNR OCT 1st varnish 1706.jpg
But looking at the photos of both lengths of vehicle in the GNRS book, it looks pretty similar:
18ft10in GN OCT Dia 375.jpg
21ft GN OCT Dia 375.jpg
I'm assuming that painted lettering on wagon sides was considerably less standardised then than now, which seems to be the case in quite a lot of photos...
Chas
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

Thought I'd post a couple of pictures of the finished model, with its load - an Oxford Diecast Bentley. I realise there's a slight 'time shift' between the wagon in this livery and the car, but if we imagine the very late 1920s and a wagon long overdue for a visit to the shop for LNER livery...
GNR OCT Loaded (1)-2.jpg
GNR OCT Loaded (2)-2.jpg
Thanks again for the help on this kit - I'm very pleased with the way it turned out and it runs beautifully :D
Chas