Black locos with red lining

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Black locos with red lining

Post by Woodcock29 »

I have a number of times seen models of black locos with the red lining where the wheels have also been lined out. I was under the impression that the wheels were plain black? Can someone confirm one way or the other please.

Andrew
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Black locos with red lining

Post by JASd17 »

I have looked through a number of lined black locos from different works.

None appear to have lined wheels. But it is a small sample, and I would not like to say it never happened.

EDIT. Some of the Armstrong Whitworth built K3s may have had lined wheels when first delivered.

John
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Re: Black locos with red lining

Post by Woodcock29 »

Thanks John

Bachmann have lined the wheels in red on its revamp of the J72. The LNER black model 2313 being one of the two lined for working at Newcastle Central in 1937. Yeadon 43A shows 2313 on p77 and it possibly has red lining on the wheels although its not clear. The other J72 lined out No 1720 is on p84 but there appears to be no evidence of red lining on the wheels, although it is not fresh from works.

On the other hand J72 No 500 in Yeadon (p82) built at Doncaster in 1925 is lined in red and definitely appears to have red circles around the axle and red tyre lining. But I have not seen any evidence other than on this class so I think it might be an oddity?

Andrew