NZRedBaron's thread of questions

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: A first-time kit-builder looking for advice

Post by jwealleans »

His Facebook page (Five 79) is festooned with pictures of kit components.
David Eveleigh
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by David Eveleigh »

Good morning,
I have built lots of vans and coaches in 2FS and 4mm scale. Most of these are in metal, but the same principles would apply to plastic. I put a wide strip across the end of the vehicle inside the solebar - say 8 or 10 mm wide. This is at the level of the bottoms of the sides so if the headstocks are integral with the body you will need to support the body on a block. These strips have holes in them for attaching a captive nut and you can use that to fix the body to the chassis.

I also fix strips a few millimetres wide all along inside the top and bottom edges of the sides. These stiffen the body and stop the sides bowing in or out. The also hide the gap between the body and the solebars at the bottom and provide a good area for fixing the roof to at the top. Here are some pictures taken from my website, www.eveleighcreations.com , of a build sequence for an etched kit.
flange 2 800 x 600.jpg
flange 3 800 x 600.jpg
Best wishes,

David
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

I think that you are over thinking things, and setting yourself up for failure.

I have always thought that too many people put themselves off modelling and scratch building by choosing
as their first attempt, something they actually want to model which, if it does not meet their expectations
will make it more difficult to move forward.

You need to construct a jig similar to that in the previous post, to ensure that you have vertical and horizontal
right angles to model with. A few of bits of 2x1, or MDF will work very well, and being of scrap, can be thrown away
and then made anew when worn out.

I would try to find a couple of model open wagons, or other vans, on flea bay, or similar, and practice with them,
if you mess them up, you will not fly off in a huff, nor put a stop to your endeavours.

However, good you are, your first couple attempts are rarely likely to meet the standards you see here, but
if you can create a square model that looks ok from about 12-18 inches away, that is a good start. Once happy
with the basic structure, you can start the detailing.

Take care and start modelling, remember that it is a hobby that is supposed to relax you and give you enjoyment.
Reaching top standards takes time and practice,so take small, practical steps and build up to it.

HTH
Paul
NZRedBaron
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by NZRedBaron »

Yes, I will fully admit that I overthink things like this, a lot.

Which is why I'm getting two of the van kits- one of them will be the sacrificial test piece, which I expect fully to be a hot mess and kludge job; while the other will be the one that I'll actually run on the layout. It will however be a very pleasant surprise if I do enough of a good job that both vans look okay enough to run.
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

Interesting, but expensive way to learn.

The most important thing to remember, is to make sure you complete the build, other wise you will learn nothing.

I hope you enjoy it, and it is the beginning of the rest of your hobby.

Paul
williewhizz
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by williewhizz »

Sorry, just catching-up with these threads.

You mention "faking-up" the Chivers Pigeon Van into a CCT. Better by far to look at the Parkside Dundas range (now made and marketed by Peco), which has specific examples of such vehicles approproate for whichever company/region of BR you're proposing to model. Parkside kits are pretty straightforward and good quality, with decet instructions and (in their Peco incarnation) suitable transfers.

The main modification you may need to make is to replace the couplings supplied with something more compatible with Hornby and Bachmann RTR stock, if that's mainly what you'll be running.
NZRedBaron
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by NZRedBaron »

It seems like I've gotten a lot of radio silence from Chivers about that pigeon brake, so in all likelihood my first foray with kitbuilding will be a couple of Parkside PC26 kits (12t through-braked closed vans).

I was looking at them and saw that the doors to the vans are separate pieces to the van sides; does that mean they can freely slide open and closed once the model is built, or do you fix them in a given position?
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

You'd have to make your own arrangement to have them slide, they're supplied so you can position them as you prefer then fix.
NZRedBaron
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by NZRedBaron »

Well, my two Parkside van kits arrived in the post today, so I'm both excited to get started, and terribly nervous about it; the underside gubbins all look very fiddly indeed.
NZRedBaron
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by NZRedBaron »

Also, the Chivers blokes emailed me early this morning; the Pigeon Brakes were just that moment being mailed out to me, so now I'm happy about that.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Not to sound discouraging at all, but the Parkside kits don't contain anywhere near all the below the solebar components. This is a PD fruit van I recently reconditioned and detailed and an LNER vac braked underframe done using Mainly Trains parts. I hope they help.

NZRedBaron
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by NZRedBaron »

All very well and good, but by the same token, I have massive, sausage-like fingers and rather stiff joints, so that doesn't help.
Darryl Tooley
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Darryl Tooley »

I shouldn't worry too much. What's in the kit isn't hugely fiddly, and passes muster from a distance. I put most, sometimes all, of the underframe detail in mine; nobody ever notices.

One thing to watch out for is this bit. Always lower left to upper right.

Some very skilled and knowledgeable modellers get this wrong occasionally, and one of them is going to thump me.

D
Attachments
LNER brake gear reversing lever.jpg
NZRedBaron
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by NZRedBaron »

Well, I've made a start on it; and so far today, I've built 2/3rds of one van body (the ends and one side with door in place), and I'll likely put the other side and roof on tomorrow.

All in all, so far I'm satisfied with my work.

Wish I could show a picture, but I'm hopeless with uploading pictures and things.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Darryl Tooley wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:05 am

Some very skilled and knowledgeable modellers get this wrong occasionally, and one of them is going to thump me.

D
I can't imagine who you might have in mind...
He'll probably thump me now too.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.