Rails of Sheffield and Hornby

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

RayS
NBR J36 0-6-0

Rails of Sheffield and Hornby

Post by RayS »

I see rumours of a bust-up between these two?
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Re: Rails of Sheffield and Hornby

Post by Horsetan »

Something to do with a "Terrier" :?:
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

The dark side had a big melt down over the whole saga. :shock:

Terrier ?? there was a film at the time of the new Hornby release , where Kohler was "ambushed" by the Aston Martin driving, owner of Rails, over how dare they bring out the same models as them, and much quicker !. It has obviously developed further.

No win situation for both sides .
STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

Can any retailer survive without Hornby?
Sad that it's come to this
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

If retailers are going to start manufacturing directly, without commissioning from the likes of Hornby and Bachmann then there's bound to be a period of tanks on lawns, until they all work out how to coexist equitably. It's to be hoped it doesn't escalate to the point where viability is threatened.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I thought that particular bust-up was history by now.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Dave S
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Dave S »

Are you thinking of the Hattons & Bachmann bust up ? That's been ongoing for some time.
Albert Hill
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Albert Hill »

Have Hattons and Rails had it too easy in their relationship with Bachmann and Hornby and they have been challenged and don't like it ?
Payment terms, discounting freedom ?
exile
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by exile »

Hattons and Bachmann had I thought become public knowledge. Making your own models was perhaps undesirable but might be tolerated, whereas offering them to other outlets made them a manufacturing competitor to Bachmann which was a step too far.

I suspect (but have no proof to back this up) that the rails Hornby issue might be to do with poaching of commissioned models by Hornby - Terrier, L&M second class open coach. Or maybe the other way round.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

I don't know and care less about the rights and wrongs of this dispute.

It should be noted that Hornby have decades of very less than perfect LNER models in the back catalogue.

If you want a particular model, AVOID r-t-r because it is generally not what one requires. What I mean by that is better to think about what you want first, then consider buying, and only after a second check actually spend!

Surely 'railway modelling' is about modelling!!

John
burnie
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by burnie »

We each have our own limitations though John, I seem to be very good at scenery, I have built a V2 on a scratch built chassis from a kit and found my ability is just above average and never got round to painting it. R-T-R allows those like me the opportunity take be part of the hobby, there are those who buy everything from others and play trains without actually modelling anything themselves, as long as they are happy seems acceptable to allow them their own pleasure from the hobby. Modern models from the main manufacturers seem to be a heck of a lot better than they were and I am happily re-living my yoof through this .
exile
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by exile »

I tend to agree John
However there comes a point in ones life when you realise that the aspirations needed for your layout exceed your likely lifespan. So if a manufacturer produces a half decent representation of something you need, why not take the short cut? After all if you do beat the grim reaper you can always replace it later with your own handy work.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Fair points Burnie. And exile who has just posted.

But all I said was consider what you require. Ready-to-run does very little if you are a proper LNER period modeller even today. Carriages are almost impossible.

Is it not prudent to be sure you know what models you want?

I agree that there are many branches of the hobby. Surely many can be discussed to 'the-ends-of-the-earth' elsewhere?

John
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

jwealleans wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:28 am ... there's bound to be a period of tanks on lawns...
Perhaps we should use the equivalent railway action from the rambunctious days of Hudson and Huish: 'rails lifted to trap locomotives'?
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Hatfield Shed wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:37 am
jwealleans wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:28 am ... there's bound to be a period of tanks on lawns...
Perhaps we should use the equivalent railway action from the rambunctious days of Hudson and Huish: 'rails lifted to trap locomotives'?
Ah - but gauge and section of rails?

(If I were to start again, I would be attracted by the latest Peco Bullhead. Having large sections of a large layout already laid in Code 100 that's probably what I'll stick with.)

Not going to Nottingham. Don't trust the Euston Confederacy, although have some sympathy with the GNR.