Rails of Sheffield and Hornby

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Re: Rails of Sheffield and Hornby

Post by Manxman1831 »

jwealleans wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:28 am If retailers are going to start manufacturing directly, without commissioning from the likes of Hornby and Bachmann then there's bound to be a period of tanks on lawns, until they all work out how to coexist equitably. It's to be hoped it doesn't escalate to the point where viability is threatened.
Interesting thoughts, but as Hattons have commissioned Heljan to produce their 66, and Rails went to Dapol for the Terrier, I'm amused that the 'big boys' have decided to vent at the retailers, rather than having a dig at the manufacturers.

Frankly, out of the four models (two 66s, and two Terriers) only the Bachmann 66 seems to not have many issues relating to it - the Hattons 66 has issues relating to the fit of the thing, and the pop-on/off axlebox ends; the Hornby Terrier has issues with detailing between life periods (generic bodyshell), and last pictures I saw it had the Heljan A4 self-destruct problem; the Rails Terrier has been slammed in the modelling press for being bland, generic and overpriced for what it is. I'm amused (or should that be amazed) that while this is going on, the quality of the models appears to be suffering and all the magazines seem capable of doing is applauding how marvellous the latest Hornby/Bachmann model is, while ignoring the efforts of Hattons and Rails in trying to present versions that filled a gap while the main manufacturers either had no plans to release their own models, or were getting on with retooling for newer versions of their own.
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
Dave S
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Dave S »

Manxman1831 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:57 pm Interesting thoughts, but as Hattons have commissioned Heljan to produce their 66, and Rails went to Dapol for the Terrier, I'm amused that the 'big boys' have decided to vent at the retailers, rather than having a dig at the manufacturers.
I don't think you're correct, the issue for Bachmann with Hattons is that they went direct to a factory and in so doing became their own commissioner/manufacturer. Doing so wasn't allowed within the contract between Hattons and Bachmann and hence why they struck them off their retailer list.

We have no idea why Hornby and Rails have parted ways.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Manxman1831 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:57 pm ...I'm amused that the 'big boys' have decided to vent at the retailers, rather than having a dig at the manufacturers...
Spot on. This is a classic business management error. 'Competitors threatening our market share, put the heat on the retailers'. (The correct response is the humility to realise that it was your own failings - insufficient product supply - that led to this, and offer superior terms on plentiful good product to the retailers, whatever they may be doing.)

But whatever, it doesn't affect our railway interest, layouts or DIY activities.
RayS
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by RayS »

I have a few orders outstanding - for Hattons own, TMC and Oxford Rail. Nothing of interest from either Hornby or Bachmann. How many others are similarly placed?
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

RayS wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:18 pm ... Nothing of interest from either Hornby or Bachmann. How many others are similarly placed?
It has been three years now that my RTR spend has largely been from other outfits (Dapol, Heljan, Oxford, Peco, NRM/Rapido) because they brought to market models that I could use. Major change after 17 years solidly dominated by Bachmann and Hornby purchases. No doubt in my mind which manufacturers 'dropped the ball'.

Bachmann and Hornby have items of interest announced. But these have to be available retail...
James Harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by James Harrison »

Pre-orders for Hattons 6-wheel carriages and Oxford Rail's 15-ton crane here. There has been the square-root of diddly squat I could use from Hornnmann and Bachby for several years.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Manxman1831 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:57 pm....all the magazines seem capable of doing is applauding how marvellous the latest Hornby/Bachmann model is....
Hasn't fawning hagiography not always been the way, though?
NZRedBaron
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by NZRedBaron »

I will admit, I am curious about Oxford Rail's ex-GER covered vans; a few of those might be a good addition for my layout.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

Horsetan wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:58 pm
Manxman1831 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:57 pm....all the magazines seem capable of doing is applauding how marvellous the latest Hornby/Bachmann model is....
Well I think it may depend on how much advertising space the fawned over companies/retail outlets are purchasing in the magazines on a regular basis.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

strang steel wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:05 pm
Horsetan wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:58 pm
Well I think it may depend on how much advertising space the fawned over companies/retail outlets are purchasing in the magazines on a regular basis.
I thought it depended on the flow of free samples. Or was that in an age gone by?
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Officially of course, neither of those things is responsible for the outpourings of unctuous platitudes.

I do know some unusual words, but I admit that I had to look up "hagiography".
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

I didn't look up the meaning of ' Hagiography' but did think that 'Horsetan, had fell out of his tree and had taken up a new hobby taking pictures of 'Old Hags', which is about as far from Model railways as one can get. :D

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

It's a free country and there's probably a market for it somewhere on the Internet.

Have we any more salacious details about the bust-up yet? I read somewhere it started because Rails were going to manufacture a carriage as an add-on to the Hornby Rocket set (which had passed me by up to that point). Is there any truth in that?
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Yes it was listed and then withdrawn by Rails, when Hornby suddenly announced their version.

Its all a bit pathetic , the huge number of items that can still be modelled, and they copy each other , very childish by both sides.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

It is pathetic, but the cynic within me thinks that the main effort is directed towards putting smaller rivals out of business.

As someone who gave up loco kit building many years ago due to poor eyesight and cow udder fingers, I would love to see an RTR B16, K2 and an A5 - to name but three; but I have resigned myself to the realisation that I will be in a box 6 feet under before any of those are produced by the usual suspects.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/