Harrogate Station second attempt

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

HarrogateRailProject
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Harrogate Station second attempt

Post by HarrogateRailProject »

Hello! I was formerly on here as Harrogate Station Project, but I lost the account, and without a way to retrieve it I just gave it up as a bad job. Now though, I'm back in my quest for more knowledge of the station and it's surroundings.

Since I last spoke, I've collected just about every book and as much footage on the station that I'm aware exists, joined the N.E.R.A, visited the Harrogate North Box and visited as many locations with significant railway articles as I can find or reason must exist within Harrogate. Now though, the thing I lack most is any plans of the station, that being outside ones I've created from observations of photographs of the station from various dates and writings by people like the former Signalman O. Dunning of Harrogate South (who also provides a signalling diagram of Harrogate in 1960, which coupled with a N.E.R document of the signals and measurement charts of Harrogate from the 1920's proves a very interesting comparison, but I digress), and old OS maps from uncertain dates that lack any important detail (I of course refer to the NLoS maps).

Any suggestions as to where to look now? I've thoroughly inspected everything from Pannal station to Bilton junction and beyond, and yes these observations and relics have taught me a lot of the workings of the railways in and around here, but I'm still somewhat lost as to what to do now. Also, when there's a free moment, there's a lot of odd looking signalling I'm not yet acquainted with all around Harrogate South in the past that I would like to enquire about for accuracy when modelling.
I think that covers everything? I may have forgotten some things, I often do. If I remember, I'm sure I'll bring it up sometime.

Thank you!
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Harrogate Station second attempt

Post by PinzaC55 »

Have you tried speaking to the owners of the Harrogate Tap pub ? Since they had to convert part of the building they may well have had access to plans.
Also the PRO at Kew is a mine of information on places like this. I have an ancient printed catalogue of the NRM collection of elevations and track plans and they have 3 NER track plans listed under serial number 21141 , BR File no 142/1.
sawdust
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by sawdust »

HarrogateRailProject wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:10 pm Hello! I was formerly on here as Harrogate Station Project, but I lost the account, and without a way to retrieve it I just gave it up as a bad job. Now though, I'm back in my quest for more knowledge of the station and it's surroundings.

Since I last spoke, I've collected just about every book and as much footage on the station that I'm aware exists, joined the N.E.R.A, visited the Harrogate North Box and visited as many locations with significant railway articles as I can find or reason must exist within Harrogate. Now though, the thing I lack most is any plans of the station, that being outside ones I've created from observations of photographs of the station from various dates and writings by people like the former Signalman O. Dunning of Harrogate South (who also provides a signalling diagram of Harrogate in 1960, which coupled with a N.E.R document of the signals and measurement charts of Harrogate from the 1920's proves a very interesting comparison, but I digress), and old OS maps from uncertain dates that lack any important detail (I of course refer to the NLoS maps).

Any suggestions as to where to look now? I've thoroughly inspected everything from Pannal station to Bilton junction and beyond, and yes these observations and relics have taught me a lot of the workings of the railways in and around here, but I'm still somewhat lost as to what to do now. Also, when there's a free moment, there's a lot of odd looking signalling I'm not yet acquainted with all around Harrogate South in the past that I would like to enquire about for accuracy when modelling.
I think that covers everything? I may have forgotten some things, I often do. If I remember, I'm sure I'll bring it up sometime.

Thank you!
I have an historic plan of Harrogate station riding around in the back of my car (I keep forgetting to take it out at my workshop and it's keeping the GA of the 1938 buffet lounge car company). It covers the whole of the station and goods yard area.

Sawdust.
HarrogateRailProject
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by HarrogateRailProject »

I see! I'm yet to look through the NRM archives - I've been there enough times, but it's catching when the archive is open! Thank you for the references though, I'll be sure to look into them And pull what records I can.

And that must be helpful! I've seen the Britain from above and I've used it to try figuring out some odd details that most photographs didn't make clear (e.g the turntable by the Bower Road bridge and the goods one by station bridge that was removed). It's still odd to me how despite all the photographs of the station, there's only five or so that I'm aware of that show the inside of the station concourse, and non that show the inside of any other buildings pre-1964.
Mark Tatlow
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Mark Tatlow »

In the UK, the planning process has an element of public consultation so applications/drawings, including those from the past, are open for public inspection. Over the last decade or so, borough councils have been loading applications on line and to varying degrees also their historic applications too.

You will find Harrogate District Council on line site here:

https://uniformonline.harrogate.gov.uk/ ... lications/

Worth perusing.
Mark Tatlow

You can see what i am upto on my blog www.highlandmiscellany.com Proud to be a member of the Scalefour Society and the LMS Society: