'Generic' RTR power-chassis

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

NZRedBaron
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

'Generic' RTR power-chassis

Post by NZRedBaron »

I've had an idea rolling (ha) around my head for a few days, and I was wondering if anyone knew if anyone made these:

As the title suggests, they're generic chassis for various wheel arrangements, that could be mated to a body shell to inexpensively (in terms of cost and building experience) replicate a given locomotive; for instance, a 2-4-0 chassis that could be used for anything from a GWR autotank, to a Beattie 'Well Tank', or from an LNWR 'Jumbo' like Hardwicke, to something more directly relatable to this forum, such as one of the Holden 'Intermediates'.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: 'Generic' RTR power-chassis

Post by Hatfield Shed »

If you want to exploit RTR mechanisms to power kit, kit-bashed and scratch built loco bodies; then allow me to suggest that the basic mental trick to perform is to see all RTR models as no more than assembled kits. Then you have to decide just how exacting you are going to be in your requirements of the mechanism dimensions, and how much work of alteration you are prepared to undertake on it. In my opinion the present selection in RTR OO is such that practically all steam subjects originating from the 1880s on now have a suitable mechanism lurking 'somewhere'.

To take up your last suggestion for a subject, the Holden Intermediate, LNER E4. Small low centreline boiler, 5'8" wheel, 8'9" coupled wheelbase.

There are at least two manufacturers offering a suitable RTR mechanism, Hornby and Oxford Rail both offer the Adams 'Radial tank'. Right diameter wheel, 8'6" wb, compact drive because this is a small low centreline boiler loco. A millimetre error in the wheelbase, that will 'pass', so it is just the necessary butchery to rearrange it to a 2-4-0. (I happen to have tinkered with the Oxford product for a friend, and by deleting the flywheel the drive line can be made more compact so that it disappears from view in the original model body. I would consider using this mech. without hesitation if a burning desire for an E4 ever arose in my breast; but would also assess the Hornby item if possible, just in case it offers some particular benefit.)

The 'off-falls' now. Generally these can be sold on quite readily, if they are not of use in one's own projects. The lack of supply of spare bodies from the manufacturers works in our favour in this matter. Johnny Ninethumbs regularly drops his soldering iron on a plastic body, while N. Gineare is building a P4 mechanism, and only requires a body to put on it...

One important detail. The standard 'Crewe/Ramsbottom six coupled wheelbase dimensions were used by both Doncaster and Swindon, among others. Thus the readily available scale models of a 57xx or Dean goods, will yield a useful mechanism for our purposes. However, to dispel the misbegot notion that the GWR is 'popular', it is most important that these be acquired s/h, in order that dealers and manufacturers are not further confirmed in their erroneous opinion.
Mersey508138
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Mersey508138 »

Hi Everyone,

I managed to create an A3 locomotive using a Hornby A1/3 chassis along with the body from a gresley A1 kit built loco I bought a few years ago.

The body required a fair amount of modification as did the chassis at the smoke box end. To make it an A3 locomotive I switched the regulator piece from the right side to the left of the boiler and while no loco of the number I gave it was ever built ( 60168 ) I now have a loco that will easily haul 11+ Bachmann mk1 coaches.

I also created a V2 locomotive using the body from a kit built loco where the chassis had failed due to a main frame piece coming apart rendering it non repairable.

Instead, I used the chassis from a stanier 2-6-4 tank where the rear bogie and part of the chassis that holds it can be detached by undoing a screw that keeps it in place.

Then using pieces of 10 thou plasticard layered on top of each other I was able to extent the chassis to the required length for the body to be fitted in place as a trial.

The chassis was needing a few parts but it still had the main coupling rod in place for the 3 driving axles. So with a motor fitted in place and my own self made pickups fitted and wired to the motor aswell as tender pickups made, fitted and connected to the motor, I put it on the track and applied power and even without all the other valve gear in place the loco pulled away with 9 mk1s straight from the get go.

If my railway was bigger than the current room size allows, I have no doubt that the 2 locos coupled together would easily haul 20+ mk1 coaches with a minimum if any wheel slip.
NZRedBaron
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by NZRedBaron »

Hmm.... seems like there could be at least a small market then, for a relatively inexpensive, Ready-to-Run chassis of generic wheel arrangements, by how things sound; supply your own body shell and fittings for either a tank or a tender engine version.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

To be frank, a market so small as to be uneconomic for any commercial operation. To explain, in 'build it yourself model locomotives' I would identify two distinct strands:

A kit or scratchbuild. The majority of those doing this are out for accuracy, a 'generic' mechanism is very unlikely to please.

'Bashing'. Using whatever is available in RTR, kits, 'whatever', to assemble anything from a true scale model to a good approximation of the intended subject. This might be where a 'generic' mechanism finds favour.

Writing as a happy 'basher', what I currently have available from RTR OO is all the mechanisms required to power the models I have thus far bodged together. I have made quite extensive use of Bachmann's current range, using mechanisms from BR std 5, 2721, 56xx, 57xx, 3F, A4, J11, J72, K3, O4; and a small selection of others from Dapol, Heljan and Hornby, and might well pillage something from Oxford Rail in due course.

In short what is already available in decent RTR mechanisms fully meets my needs, no 'gap' for a generic mechanism to fill. And the news for the generic mechanism possibility is worse yet: between acquiring the donor model cheaply - s/h or dealer offer - and selling on the unwanted bodies, tenders, components, and boxes(!), the cost is minimal. In fact sometimes I come out with the mechanism and a net profit...