On my work bench: Y7

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

On my work bench: Y7

Post by richard »

After those first three wagons, I have moved on to the Connoisseur Y7. This is my first brass kit. Here's the progress so far.

GeoffB: This is slightly further on than our emails a few days ago. I've now re-fitted the rear buffer beam to be 1mm higher, and attached the reversing lever.

Richard
Attachments
Assembly so far with boiler, side tanks and cab rear sheet loose-fitted.
Assembly so far with boiler, side tanks and cab rear sheet loose-fitted.
y7_partial_front.jpg (84.5 KiB) Viewed 3090 times
Body assembly so far. Latest addition is the reversing lever.
Body assembly so far. Latest addition is the reversing lever.
y7_partial_rear.jpg (72.68 KiB) Viewed 3566 times
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Hi
I presume this is 4mm?
Nice work , watch the Cab handrails when you fix the rear sheet they move at the slightest excuse.
There are photos of my Y7 on this forum . have you built the chassis as clearances are very tight!!!!! I used the smallest Mashima and had to fit the motor facing forward for it to fit and had to cut the bottom of the boiler even then!!

Mick
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

This is 7mm.

Yes I found one of the handrails moved when I put the rear cab sheet in and I had to replace it.

I've skipped the tanks and moved on to the chassis - checking everything goes together. I'll do the same with the boiler, then fix the tanks just before I attach the smokebox & boiler together.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
wehf100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by wehf100 »

watching with interest,

looks like a neat job, good kit?

I got so much on at the moment that a loco, even 'Y' something, isnt on the cards for a while. Looks like my increasing 7mm wagon collection will be 'capstan shunted' for a while yet!

good luck with the project. I will be interested to see how you tackle the chassis!
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

The chassis is half built - I made quite a bit of progress on Saturday night.

I've followed Connoisseur Jim's "wobble axle" method for compensation. This builds slack into the leading axle at the bearings, and the axle is then balanced on a longitudinal brass tube. He even puts holes in the body for this tube.

He also has a Starter loco based on the Hornby Nellie. I think this is GP60 if you wanted a cheaper entry point. You still have the wheels, motor, and solder supplies of course.

If I get time, I'll take another picture with it loose fitted on the chassis.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
rob
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by rob »

Great progress Richard,it's coming along well.The Connoisseur kits really are a great product,highly detailed but not impossible! Keep us posted, though I'm a bit jealous as I hesitated on buying a 4mm version then production stopped so watching yours build up in 7mm is constant reproach to me!
Cheers,
Rob