NER Coach underframe components

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

bucoops
GNR J52 0-6-0T

NER Coach underframe components

Post by bucoops »

Good Morning all :)

I have a few D&S NER coaches slowly progressing - however I seem to be missing a few bits, mainly from the bottom (ooer!). Specifically Queen posts and alternators. I'm guessing (because clear photos are hard to find!) that LNER standard alternators may be ok (replacemenent for failed ones?!), but the Queen posts are integral and unique. I also seem to be missing a couple of buffers. Does anyone know of a source for these?

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: NER Coach underframe components

Post by jwealleans »

I'd be pleased to learn that someone other than Dan Pinnock does NER queenposts. In the past I've replaced lost ones with a handrail knob in the end of a piece of tube, turned down a little in a minidrill to get nearer the shape.
bucoops
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by bucoops »

jwealleans wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:24 am I'd be pleased to learn that someone other than Dan Pinnock does NER queenposts. In the past I've replaced lost ones with a handrail knob in the end of a piece of tube, turned down a little in a minidrill to get nearer the shape.
I can see how that would make a good approximation!
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Similar method, I use Brass rod "turned" to shape using a suitable needle file.
bucoops
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by bucoops »

It's definitely looking that way - I did find that DMR coach buffers are a similar shape - but getting a ring to represent the end of the main body (and then having the actual end of the buffer turning be the point that the truss contacts) has proved too difficult for me - I can't quite get it tight enough so it stays in the right place.
Queen post trial
Queen post trial
UpDistant
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by UpDistant »

I'm building an NE D130 BT(3) at the moment. The under-gubbins are all there - the buffers provided are tapered with a round base and collar, and have oval heads (4.7mm x 3.5mm). The length of the buffer body is 4.8mm - the Alan Gibson LNWR Whale (loco) buffer (Cat No 4912) appears to be quite similar - tapered with round base and collar - might be worth a look.