On a different modelling matter; station platforms

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

NZRedBaron
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

On a different modelling matter; station platforms

Post by NZRedBaron »

So, here's a thought I had, and wanted to get some clarification on; how long and wide should the platforms be for a steam era 'through station' on a secondary main line?

I mainly ask as the Hornby platforms seem a little narrow to fit the appropriate buildings on, as far as I can see.
LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: On a different modelling matter; station platforms

Post by LNER4479 »

Hello there.

The only 'rule' I'm aware of is the 6 foot rule, meaning that there should be a minimum of 6 foot clear back from the platform edge.

So - a single platform, without any other obstacles, should be at least 6 foot wide; a double platform (ie island platform) should be 12 feet wide.

Once you have a station building, then the 6 foot applies from the outer wall of the building to the platform edge so, however wide your building is, you need to add 12 feet to that if it's situated on island platform for the total width of the platform.

Of course platforms were typically wider than this; but there again, there's probably the odd one that equally flouted the 'rule' - which is why I use the word 'rule' in a general sense. Although it is possible there's something in modern standards that covers it.*

Not aware of any 'rule' re length! Should certainly be the length of the longest train regularly expected to stop there as a minimum. Again, most were (are) much longer; there will be the odd example where it's shorter than it should be ... although that is relative to the length of trains being run. If the operator increases their train lengths then the platforms instantly become too short!

*edit to add:

Here you go! From GIRT7020

2.3.1 The usable width of a new single face platform, and alterations (as defined) to existing single face platforms, shall not be less than: a) 3000 mm where the permissible or enhanced permissible speed on the line adjacent to the platform exceeds 100 mph (160 km/h). b) 2500 mm at other platforms.

2.3.3 The usable width of a new double face platform, and alteration (as defined) to existing double face platforms, shall not be less than: a) 6000 mm where the permissible or enhanced permissible speed on both lines adjacent to the platform exceeds 100 mph (160 km/h). b) 5500 mm where the permissible or enhanced permissible speed on only one line adjacent to the platform exceeds 100 mph (160 km/h). c) 4000 mm at other platforms.

2.3.4 Any new buildings, structures, furniture or equipment on platforms and alteration (as defined) to existing buildings, structures, furniture or equipment, shall be located to provide the following minimum distances to the platform edge: a) 3000 mm where the permissible or enhanced permissible speed on the line adjacent to the platform exceeds 100 mph (160 km/h). b) 2500 mm at other platforms.

Of course, these are modern standards - although 2.3.3(c) is pretty close to the old 12 feet 'rule'

The clear principle is that the faster trains pass, the move width required (slipstream effects and all that)
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
NZRedBaron
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by NZRedBaron »

A related subject now; I've gotten most of the idea penned down, but now the question of the goods yard has come up; I have more or less penned down two, or possibly three, commercial enterprises that are in the immediate vicinity of Trenholme Junction that would be serviced by the station- a coal merchant, a brewery, and either a timber yard or builder's yard.

A goods shed is obviously needed for the general cargo, as would coal staithes, an office and a weighbridge. But can anyone think of anything else that would be good to have?
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

There is always an exception to every rule, the old station of Holme had a very narrow island, something in the region of 10 to 15 feet and it had a covered roof and seats under it, very few pictures are known show any detail.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

NZRedBaron wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:49 am ... the goods yard ...A goods shed is obviously needed for the general cargo, as would coal staithes, an office and a weighbridge. But can anyone think of anything else that would be good to have?
Much depends on the traffic you envisage in and out of your location.
End loading dock, to enable vehicles to roll on and off flats, and end door CCT and GUV.
Cattle pens on a platform if there is pastoral agriculture.
Grain lift and chutes for loading hoppers if there is large scale grain production locally.
A crane mounted on a platform if there is justification in the way of regular traffic in heavy loads (local steel fabricator for example).
williewhizz
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by williewhizz »

Bear in mind that whilst you can compress platform length to pretty much any extent your scenario and your available space will permit, your ability to compress platform width is very restricted if you wish to have authentic-looking station buildings perched upon it.

For example, in OO a typical island platform of a modest Great Central London Extension station scales out at between 11-12cm width. You can shade a few millimetres off that; but if you reduced it any more, then you'd have to make a material reduction in the width of the platform buildings and canopies too - which would make them look grossly and unrealistically tall and thin, because their height aspect can't be reduced, given it has to be proportionate to the height of the rolling stock above rail level.

So in summary length is fairly easily compressible without losing all realism; but width far less so; and height barely at all.
NZRedBaron
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by NZRedBaron »

I actually figured out a bit of a work around; the station is going to be in what's pretty much a small cutting, with a road bridge that goes over the line along the edge of the backdrop; that way I'd only need to model enough visible platform for two coaches.

Also, I did have an idea for a station, based on one near where I live here in NZ; the district of Henderson here in Auckland used to be where single-line working from out west and up to the north met the double-line through the city- due to that, the original railway station had just one super-long platform along one side of the line- trains going out from town would stop on the Eastern half of the platform and wait for any trains going in to town to pass through the western half of the station, and over the points in front of the station building.