GNR Tender models

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Re: GNR Tender models

Post by john coffin »

Mea Culpa, I too have been looking m ore totally.
What it could be is an interesting tender which is the interim tender designed in the space
between Stirling dying and Ivatt actually joining almost 3 months later.

I don't have a complete drawing, but there are some incomplete details which include
a Stirling style water tank front inside the coal space. seem to remember it was 2670 gallons capacity

Shame we cannot see the underframe clearly.

But well done Graeme and Peebles for spotting it and remembering.

Paul
Pebbles
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Pebbles »

The only C1 that has the last three of its numbers as 400 was 1400 that entered traffic in June 1905. During this period a significant number of c1s were entering service and possibly loco construction exceed that of the tenders. If the tender is a transitional a Stirling/Ivatt one it presumably was originally coupled to another - possibly withdrawn - mainline engine.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Vol 2 of Groves GN loco history book, on p181 has a picture of one of Stirling's last "enlarged" 1895 8ft singles, with cab unlike the one in the previously posted drawing, coupled to its "original" tender, presumably one of Stirling's last and largest 3850gal versions, and it has only two coal rails. Maybe one of these then relatively new tenders was appropriated for that Atlantic when the heaviest mainline duties passed to the Atlantics?
There are pictures too of other 8ft singles in their later days, looking somewhat altered with features such as Ivatt domed boilers and Ivatt cabs, paired with Ivatt tenders of the general type fitted new to the Atlantics.
The "same" type of tender could therefore have appeared behind a single and an Atlantic, but the single is not likely to have looked just like the one in that drawing.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Pebbles

Post by Pebbles »

On page 52 of the GNRS "Great Northern Railway Locomotive Tenders" Paul has supplied us with a drawing of the 3850gal Stirling tender. Both this drawing and the tender in the photo in Groves appear to have different axle boxes to that in the Yeadon's photo. However all is not lost on this point, as the photo on the rear of the dust cover of the Leech/Boddy "The Stirling Singles" has 1003 with a tender of the same type of axle boxes as in the Yeadon photo. As I see it there remains the problem of where the Yeadon photo was taken. With all the detritus scattered around was the location in some works? this leads to the possibility of the tender and engine merely to have been temporarily co-located rather that being used in service. As an aside, and in view of the GNR's cascading of tenders, it is difficult to believe that the higher capacity Stirling tenders weren't found further use. I can find no references to this. Happy hunting!
Darryl Tooley
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Darryl Tooley »

As I see it there remains the problem of where the Yeadon photo was taken
The top photo on p45 of Yeadon's Vol 13 was taken at King's Cross, I should have thought, with the retaining wall in the background being on the future site of the lower loco yard.

D
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Time to resurrect this thread, has anyone got a picture of the front (cab end) of a Type 'B' GN tender, it's to go behind a GN built K3 (H4). Thanks in advance.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

Having spent much of the last 20 years studying and investigating GNR tenders, I have yet to find a photo of the
front of any tender except the 8 wheelers.

I have a lot of photos that show some detail of the various tenders, but not a whole view end on.
Also my book collection doesn't have any photos I remember of tender fronts.

This lack of definitive photographs was one of the reasons Malcolm Crawley did not put any in the tender drawings boo

Paul
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Terry, try Rob Pulham. He sent me some pictures of the tender attached to 251 when I built my first one of these. In the absence of anything else they'll help. If you can get a sight of the Yeadons which cover the Q1/2 and D2 there are some glimpses in those. Neil Dimmer's galleries may show some details as well?
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

I have posted these before - somewhere!
But just in case it helps here they are again!
Post_03.jpg
Post_04.jpg
These were taken when both tenders were with No.1 at Shildon.
I'm not sure where they are at the moment, but I can probably find out if you want.

If you want a 'blown-up' version of as much of the front as shows, just PM me.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Thank you for your replies, I didn't hold much hope that there would be a photo of the front of the tender. But you have to try. I have a few plans for some GN tenders and a couple of average/poor pictures of that part of the tender.

Thanks again. manna
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

PM Sent.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

Terry
I'll email you a drawing of an appropriate tender and some photos of the Bachmann C1 tender which is of this type or very similar.
Andrew
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Thank you for the PM's, enlightening is one word I'll use, especially the front of the Bachmann C1tender front, I have a K's J3 tender, but it's buried in Mum's shed, and there is no way would that be an easy find.

I have taken up all the suggestions put forward, some had there rewards of unusual pics.

manna
MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by MikeTrice »

Stirling Single tender:
20221223_144822.jpg
20221223_144844.jpg
Pebbles

Post by Pebbles »

If this is the tender that has been long associated with the preserved Stirling Single, then it is most likely a Sturrock tender.